Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Die cancer!

My mom gets some more help today with her cancer battle. Yes, she's a little nervous about her first chemo treatment, but I'm sure she's also glad today is here. No more anticipating what it'll be like. No more wondering what those nasty little cancer cells are doing in her body.

I always envisioned the chemotherapy provided a stealthy group of ninja fighters to my abdomen. They'd sneak up on the cancer cells, who were too busy trying to multiply to pay much attention, and then the battle would begin. Any pain or discomfort I experienced in my abdomen was due to the ninjas fighting and killing the cancer cells with their razor sharp swords.

Then I'd envision the cancer cells crying out in pain and shrivelling up. Die cancer die!

Some studies suggest guided imagery can actually help fight cancer. I know it helped me deal with the pain because it meant an agonizing death for those mutant cells.

While today and the next few days will be hard on mom, she's starting the journey. Each step is one towards the treatments being over. Each chemo provides the necessary toxic, cancer-killing juice. No more nervous anticipation, the bell rings and the battle begins.

So today, I'll think of my mom often. Go mom!

I also want to wish a happy birthday to my sister, Angie. She told me not to blog about her, so I didn't. But what kind of sister would I be if I didn't at least mention the anniversary of her birth in my blog. Happy birthday, ma belle soeur.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. hi honey,,
    As you have lived though the 'fear of the unknown' it's your moms' turn today. The hardest part of life is the 'unknown' and we each face it on a variety of trials throughout life. Yours was ovarian cancer, someone else may have to face a very sick child.. it's all the unknown of the outcome.
    As was yours, this is your moms journey and she must travel it alone with her 'clan' on the sidelines cheering for her. It funny that within the year, you go from being participant to onlooker. She'll be fine,, where do you think you received YOUR fighting spirit from?
    and other than that... a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Angie. I'm sure these are two birthdays she'll never forget... She is a pillar and it was such a treat to meet her...
    Tilt your head back and smile at the sun today,, it's a wonderful day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete