Monday, September 19, 2011

Packing for the day

Michael and I are Hamilton bound today for the second round of testing for the Regorafinib clinical trial: The whole reason behind the study and why I get to take the cancer-fighting medication.

I now have 14 days of Regorafinib in my system, so researchers can study if my body processes the diabetic drug any differently. If you recall, I spent the day at the cancer centre three weeks ago, took the Avandia by itself to determine how quickly it metabolized through my body through a series of blood tests.

Today, they'll run the same series of blood tests (0.5 hours before and one, two, four, six, eight, 12 and 24 hours afterwards) to evaluate if the Regorafinib affects the metabolism of the Avandia. In all honesty, my doc isn't really concerned about what these results say, he just wants me on the Regorafinib with it's cancer-attacking properties. He'll care about how I'm tolerating the medication, which of course is my top priority took, since I'm having issues.

So I'm off to the cancer centre today to fulfil the interaction requirements of the Regorafinib study. Then I'll go tomorrow and Wednesday for the quick 24- and 48-hour blood tests to finish it up. After that, I stay on the medication as long as I can tolerate it well and for as long as it works to attack the cancer cells. I hope we can get some of the side effects under control and I'll be able to take it for a good, long time.

I've packed up food, books, movies and cards to help pass the time. If I go with the mindset it's going to be a long day and settle in, it sometimes isn't so bad. I'll also have my Blackberry and my email. I'll check my blog. So feel free to say hi.

Your friend who will have a numb bum by the end of the day.

Tina

5 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Gerdur and I live in Iceland. Hope that everything goes well today. My best wishes for a good time. :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina! Hope your day is going well!
    Hugs.....Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina!
    Hope half of your loooong day went well already! And the remaining will also do.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi numb bum:
    I hope it all went well. I hope the needles went in easy and the line was not tooo long.,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling better after your appointment yesterday. Just checking in for an update. :)
    Prayers,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete