Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Slight glitch

Get this. According to the clinical trial protocol, my hemoglobin must be 100. On Tuesday, it was only 98. So I have to go for another blood test at the Wiarton Hospital, where I am vacationing, for another blood test tomorrow morning. If it's risen those two measly points, I can get chemo on Friday. If not, it'll be delayed by a week.

My clinical trial nurse will call me tomorrow afternoon with the results.

The chemo lowers red blood cells and the Olaparib contributes to their drop. So my poor blood gets a double whammy. If my hemoglobin is too low after round three, I suspect I'll need a blood transfusion after round four.

But I didn't let my low count stop me. I hiked up a steep incline with my family this morning, explored the Bruce Caves this afternoon and went swimming twice. Yes, I huffed and puffed, much to my chagrin, but I did it. (Low hemoglobin makes you very tired and breathless).

Here's hoping for 100+ in the a.m.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina I have been following you journey since early this summer and you inspire me.
    You and I have a good friend in common Diane Kekich that is how I learned about you.
    Hang in there girl fight the fight it's O.K. to feel down your human and a strong one at that.
    Just know I am cheering your Ninjas on and wish the best for you,

    ReplyDelete