Friday, August 13, 2010

Full bellies, grateful hearts

“If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.”

The generous souls from my work are once again personifying this quote from Mother Teresa. An abundance of delicious dishes and tasty desserts arrived on my doorstep last night. Michael and I are overwhelming thankful for the generosity and kindness. There aren't enough words to express our gratitude.

The fact that people think of me, pray for me, send me food, stay in touch with emails or phone calls, take me to appointments and come to visit is heartwarming. I am continually asked, "What do you need? What can I do?" People I barely know touch base to see how I'm doing and offer words of support. Wow!

Last summer, I was amazed at everything others did for me and my family. When I got sick for the second time, I never anticipated being treated so well again. (Once and done? Everyone had done so much already.) I know that's not the way it works. Life doesn't dole out equal portions of benevolence. It radiates based on situations, circumstances, individuals and giving spirits.

Others ask, "Wouldn't you help, if you could?" The answer, of course, is yes. But it's different being on the receiving end - not once, but twice. I sometimes bashfully ask myself, "Why?"

Somewhere along the line, I must have done something right because I am continually showered with goodness. I have somehow surrounded myself with amazing people. For that I am grateful.

Thank you to all the friends in my village. You make my life richer, fuller . . . and tastier.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment