Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer fun

As I quickly slide down the slippery slope into the chemo trough, I am busy, busy, busy. I should be taking it a little bit easier because my blood cells are reaching their lowest point, which increases my risk of infection and feelings of tiredness, but I am having fun.

I celebrated a friend's birthday for a couple of hours while sitting in a backyard on Saturday night. That was after Michael and I had a dinner date. The evening consisted of good conversation and lots of laughs with many of my favourite people. I really needed that because I had a horrible Saturday.

We cleaned up the toy room in our house, which was a disaster. Normally this job, while unpleasant, wouldn't reduce me to tears nor elicit rages from me. But I was suffering from Ondansetron withdrawal. It was horrible. I was unbelievably psychotic.

I felt as though I were losing my mind, swinging from overly critical to irrationally angry to unbelievably sad. I yelled, banged things and collapsed into crying jags. It was awful. I don't even like me when I'm like that so how can I expect others to like me. Luckily Michael loves me and knows it's not really who I am. I apologized to my kids the next day.

I'm thankful it doesn't last long.

On Sunday, I had a mini-reunion with two wonderful university friends and their families. One, who was my roomate and partner in crime for three years, is visiting from Portland (and is now at my home for a few, fun-filled days). I'm meeting her boyfriend for the first time and our kids are hanging out. It's good to have her here.

This is just the start of a couple of whirlwind, summer-fun weeks. Our vacation, along with my mid-study CT scan and chemo, is next week. But we're going to fit in as much fun as we can around the necessary medical stuff because that's what living life is all about.

Get out and enjoy yours.
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment