Monday, August 2, 2010

So much fun

The water was warm and wavy, the ribs saucy and meaty, and the flower girl dresses beautiful and princess-like. This weekend has been a good one.

Despite the cool wind on the beach at Port Franks, we cavorted in the warm waves and had an amazing time on Friday night. After we ate our dinner of sausages that we barbequed on the beach, most of the other visitors had headed home. But we went back in the water and played in the waves. They were so strong, my do-rag came off. So I was the bald, laughing woman in the water. When it was time to go, my kids protested and reluctantly dragged their butts onto shore.

On Saturday at the bridal shop in Port Huron, Tara chose and tried on four flower girl dresses. She looked beautiful in every single one. She proudly modelled them while wearing little white, high heeled shoes with just a bit of bling while I snapped photos and my mother-in-law ooohed and aaahed. Tara's favourite got the nod of approval from my sister-in-law, Margaret, who also picked up her gorgeous wedding dress on Saturday. Everyone is going to look stunning at the wedding next June.

Since we were across the border, we visited a few stores for some American deals. I made a few successful purchases and we enjoyed lunch at Chili's. But by the time I got home, I was beat.

Yesterday, the entire family enjoyed some smoky, saucy ribs courtesy of Pistol Pete's Smokehouse. They were absolutely finger-licking delicious. Of course, I got rib sauce on my shirt (neither of my kids did, but I managed to make a mess of myself). Go figure. But luckily, the colour matched the pattern, so no one was the wiser.

My son, Noah, started to let his hair grow at Christmas. Over the past seven months, it transformed from a brush cut to a thick mop of long, scraggly hair. While long hair works for him, it curled up in odd places, was hard to keep clean and was hot. So, my friend, Jacqueline volunteered to give him a current style.

Yesterday afternoon was Noah's first experience in a salon. He got his hair throughly washed as he leaned back in the sink. He then sat in the adjustable chair in front of the mirror where he could watch big chunks of his hair fall to the ground. Jacqueline trimmed, layered and thinned his mop of unruly hair into a style similar to Daniel Radcliffe or Aston Kucher. She blew his hair dry and showed him how to use the styling wax. He looks so handsome. I love his hair, and luckily, so does he.

With all the activity so far this weekend, I've experienced moments when I've been utterly exhausted. I know it's because my body is still trying to recover and build my blood levels. I got a message on my machine on Friday from my research nurse informing me my absolute neuts did improve to 0.9, but that's still way too low. While she reassured me they're moving in the right direction, I need at least a 1.5 to get chemo on Friday - which will make them drop again. So I'd like their starting level to be much, much higher.

I'm also still experiencing some stomach pain and acid, even though I'm off the Olaparib this week. I'm concerned the new antacid medication isn't working for me. Sigh.

My plan for today is much more restful. Maybe a little laundry, which continues to multiply like rabbits (but I have Michael to help me). I also need to organize the kids for camp tomorrow. But other pursuits should be more relaxing, such as reading a book, sitting outside or playing cards.

It's been a great long weekend, filled with a variety of fun activities. What a great way to live.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you've had a FABULOUS weekend!! but yes, time to sit back, read, chat, float and maybe nap today... I wish I could join you. Have a wonderful day my friend.. xoxo
    DCD

    ReplyDelete