Monday, August 9, 2010

The breakfast of chemo champions

It's thick, greenish-purple and doesn't look very appetizing. But luckily, the taste of my morning smoothie is sweet and chuck full of goodness to get me through the day - one where eating becomes more of a chore than a pleasure.

The base of my breakfast is a packet of vanilla Carnation instant breakfast mixed with milk. It gives me the protein I need, as well as lots of other additional vitamins and nutrients. Besides, it tastes good too. Then I added a couple handfuls of frozen blueberries, a nice ripe banana, a splash of juice and a heaping teaspoon of the barley greens I take to boost my immunity system. It's this almost tasteless green powder that muddies the colour of my meal of champions.

My breakfast smoothie's thick liquid also makes it easier to swallow the many pills I still need to take first thing in the morning. Very helpful. Of course, everything must pass my lips by 8 a.m. so I can start my fast for the Olaparib.

It's going to be a quiet day here in the Bratscher household. I plan to sit in air-conditioned comfort and listen to the messages of my body. It's the best course of action on day 3 post chemo.

Here's hoping you have a great start to the week and that, like mine, it improves as its days trek on.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. but, is your breakfast smoothie as thick as the chocolate shake we had at Harveys? hmm? There is no possible way it could taste as wonderful as that shake did... I've been having dreams of it.. hahaha
    I'm happy to see you posted at 7:44 and not 5:44 this morning...
    have a wonderful day,, pull out a good book or movie and relax.
    DCD
    xo

    ReplyDelete