Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bring on the rabbit virus

Last fall, I got super excited when I toured the research labs at the London Regional Cancer Program. I blogged about the Translational Ovarian Cancer Research Group's work developing new and exciting ways to detect ovarian cancer earlier and treat it differently.

One of the areas of research that excited me involved using rabbit virus to prevent ovarian cancer tumours from forming. Last week, The London Free Press featured an article on this exciting research.

After the tour - and even now - I say, "Give me the rabbit virus."

Now I know this treatment is years away from being tested on humans. The article states Dr. Shepherd is applying to the Canadian Research Society to fund pre-clinical testing. But, it gives me hope.

I know this stupid disease usually returns again and again. While I'm hoping Olaparib prevents it from making its home in me again, I realize that's somewhat unrealistic. The goal of Olaparib is to lengthen the periods of time a woman is disease-free. Even though I hope those cancer-free periods are long, I don't have my head in the sand about the aggressiveness of ovarian cancer.

Any research, any new treatment, any hope is reason to celebrate. That's why I strongly support the Run for Ovarian Cancer. Those dollars fund this type of research. Its participants who raise money allow women with ovarian cancer to believe that maybe one day this silent killer can be eradicated. It helps support the brilliant researchers who toil to find innovative ways to stop ovarian cancer.

I will continue to believe these new treatments - like Olaparib - will work. Faith, hope, my fighting spirit, and all those who continue to love and support me are what's going to get me through this - one day at a time.

Thanks again for standing beside me.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tina,
    lets also remember that the mortality rate is what??? 80+ % with ovarian cancer?? something silly like that? However, in order to have a mortality rate of 80+%, that means that 20% (or so) are survivors of this disease.... Lets focus on the positive and continue to pray for a cure (while we run our butts off in the Run for Ovarian Cancer).. People can never donate enough (time, money, effort) when it comes to trying to find a cure for any type of cancers.
    Have a fab day,, go have a float in the pool today... it's going to be stinkin hot!!
    xoxoxo
    DCD

    ReplyDelete