Thursday, August 12, 2010

Imagery

I play tricks with myself. It helps me deal with the side effects of my treatments a little better. It's also a way of trying to be positive and fight, when I feel like crap.

Last night, when my abdomen and stomach hurt, I used my mind to envision the stealthy, black ninjas stabbing the cancer. I tell myself battles aren't painless and these aches are part of the overall war.

I envision the smoky side effects of the blasting - because war is messy and full of debris - as the culprit behind my upset stomach. Of course, it could be my belly's way of protesting all the drugs I drop into it, including the Olaparib.

The bone pain is a little harder to gussy up in my mind. My cancer isn't in my bones, so why on earth would the battle affect directly affect them? I can't come up with a logical, battle analogy so I stick with the facts.

Chemotherapy targets and kills rapidly-dividing cells, like cancer. But the chemicals aren't sophisticated enough (yet) to target just the cancerous cells, so other rapidly-dividing cells - in the bone marrow, digestive tract and hair follicles - are also affected. Their death causes some of the most common side-effects of chemotherapy, including decreased production of blood cells, inflammation of the lining of the digestive tract and hair loss. I think it's the decreased bone marrow that causes the pain.

So I'm asking for help coming up with a scenario of how the aching feet, legs, shins and thighs fit into my ninja battle scenario. Making pain positive, or at least productive, will help me get through this.

I probably should try less violent vision therapy. Perhaps I could get one of those guided-imagery DVDs to help. But for now, I like thinking the cancer is screaming in pain as my ninjas slice and dice. Die cancer die!

Tina

2 comments:

  1. envision this,,, the pain you have going up your feet, shins, calves are from the 'young fighters' who haven't been trained as stealth ninja fighters yet,,, they are the 'young' warriors making their way up to the battle grounds..(still clumsy, awkward and young)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I approached it as giving me some insight into how I was going to feel at 90 years old when osteoporosus set in. Focus on the fact that you will be around at 90 - and remind yourself to make sure there is enough calcium in your diet!

    ReplyDelete