Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Changes

Today brings about some changes in the Bratscher household. The biggest of which is Michael's return to work after being off on leave for a few months. He needed the time off because the stress of my illness, work and all the crap life keeps throwing at us brought him to the breaking point. The stress was physically and mentally affecting his health.

The timing couldn't have been more fortuitous because he started his leave about a week before I had my emergency surgery at the end of September. So he was available to be at the hospital, and then at home, helping me with my care and recovery. He was also able to attend the first four chemotherapy treatments and various doctor's appointments. He's been the laundry king and my awesome helper around the house. Now that I'm stronger, I can handle being alone and caring for myself.

But I know he worries enormously something will happen to me while I'm alone. I try to reassure him that he (and a lot of other people who would spring into action, if necessary) are only a phone call away.

His return to work will add another layer of busyness to the household, especially when the kids return to school next week. Coordination will become paramount again. But we've done it before, and we'll do it again. We'll all just need to accommodate to a new schedule.

But Michael's adjustment will be the biggest because he'll have to adapt to the stresses and pressures of work again. I know he can do it. He's good at what he does and gets satisfaction from doing a job well. So in some ways, the sense of accomplishment he'll get may be beneficial. But he's also a bit of a perfectionist, expecting the best from himself and the others around him, so that adds a lot of pressure and sets some unrealistic expectations. But hopefully, he will continue to remember he can only do his best and then come home to the most important part of his life - his family.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment