Friday, January 6, 2012

Day one post chemo 3A

Chemo 3A went really well yesterday. The process always seems long and tedious, which is tiring, because I'm stuck in a bed and tethered to bags of chemicals and other fluids. But in the whole scheme of things it all well and according to plan. Compared to the chemotherapy I used to get, it's a much quicker process, taking only about three hours - compared to five or six - from when the first bag is hooked up until the last one is disconnected and I'm sent home.

Since it was my birthday yesterday, I got the private treatment room with a bed, which was a nice bonus. Of course, everyone was also really nice because I was getting chemo on my birthday. But like I said in my blog, getting treatment yesterday is my way of being around to celebrate next year's birthday.

Angie and I lounged around the private room, eating pita chips, pretzels, hummus, soup and chocolate. We had a nice long visit and shared some laughs. The stuck-in-bed nature of chemo gives people a long period to chat without too many distractions, which my sister and I haven't had in a while.

All went well with my PICC line too. No blockages, the blood came out easily and the chemicals went in without incident. I have to say, this mechanism, to which I was very resistent in the hospital, is super handy. I love that needles can be hooked up via the lumens and I don't need to be stuck in the arms. There were many instances during treatments in the past when the nurses would take two or three times to thread the vein properly. That was after the blood draw, so my appendages were subjected to three or four needles in one day, leaving me with huge bruises and tender arms.

My visit with the doc went well too. He made some suggestions on how I may be able to sleep through the night better, including doubling up on the (apparently small) dose of lorazepam I currently take at bedtime. So I'll experiment and see what works for me, since sleep is paramount to recovery.

When we chatted about the vomiting, he expressed hope the paracentesis scheduled for Monday would help create more room so I'd expel my food less often. But he made an interesting comment about how my body would get some nutrients from food before it threw it up. I'd never thought of it that way. Since, most of the time, I only get rid of the last meal/snack I consumed, I may be getting some nutritional benefit from the food and beverages I swallow.

I have paracentesis scheduled with an interventional radiologist on Monday morning. This is considered a day surgery procedure because I check in with admitting at 7 a.m., with the paracentesis scheduled for 9 a.m. I can have nothing to eat or drink after midnight and I need someone to drive me home. I'm so glad Dr. W made these arrangements because I know the radiologist will find the big pockets of fluid and go right for them. He should also be very skillful and won't need to root around in my abdomen like the last doctor. As a result, I should get the relief I need.

I'm also hopeful I've got enough chemo in my system now, it will be able to handle the ascities-producing cancer cells and I won't have this unbearable bloating again. I worry it's taking so long, but I'll discuss that with Dr. W when I have my next appointment with him on Jan. 26.

You may have noticed my numbering system for the chemotherapy in the title of this blog. To explain, I'm scheduled to have six rounds of chemo overall, split into two treatments. I've labeled them chemo A, which happens one week, with chemo B the next week and then a recovery week during the three-week cycle. I just completed chemo 3A and will have chemo 3B next week. Then I'll be half done the overall treatment plan of six weeks. At that point, I want a CT scan to ensure the chemicals are shrinking the tumours and we're on the right track.

If all goes according to past experience, today, tomorrow and Sunday morning, I should feel okay. This morning, I have a lot of energy and feel optimistic. But I need to replenish a lot of fluids today, not only because it's required with the Cisplatin chemotherapy, but because I made the mistake of eating a birthday dinner and cake last night, and then paid for it with a vomitfest overnight. Oh, the things I do. But I'm on the right track, with four cups already in by 8 a.m.

It's strange, but I'm happy when I get my treatments. I feel better for a few days and then have the not-so-bad-comparatively-speaking side effects. But I feel relieved knowing the chemicals are in my system, working away on those nasty cancer cells. Having paracentisis scheduled for Monday is another step towards feeling better. It's action, and the knowledge I'm doing something to fight this beast called cancer that puts the smile on my face. I like moving forward and that's what I'm doing.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment