Monday, January 9, 2012

Three litres

A skillful and compassionate doc guided by the reavling illumination of ultrasound can make the world of difference with paracentesis. Oh, and a ample bunch of freezing doesn't hurt either.

Today, I had a great radiologist who removed almost three litres of ascities from my abdomen with minimal pain. I'm far more comfortable and much smaller than I was this morning. While I'm still distended and round, my belly is softer. I should be able to eat more (and keep it in) without my stomach all squashed up under my ribs.

I have a little bit of discomfort at the puncture site and around my ribs where the fluid was pressing pretty hard. I also have a wound that will require dressing changes for at least a few days. I guess the biggest disappointment from this whole procedure is I won't be able to go in the hot tub for a week or so until the hole is completely healed.

I was under the impression the doc would go into a couple of places to withdraw all the fluid he could, but when he waved the magic ultrasound wand over the left side of my belly (the section I thought was full of fluid), he said there wasn't enough to make it worthwhile. So only my upper, right flank got poked with the giant needle.

I have to watch for pain or bleeding, and report to the hospital if I have either. I can't lift anything for a day or two. I couldn't drive myself today nor even walk to the door where my ride was waiting, and needed to be portered in a wheelchair. I even came home, had a huge nap and now am going to take it easy for the rest of the day (and maybe even tomorrow too). Michael is either going to make dinner or we're having take-out. (I'm looking forward to eating whatever we're having too.)

With those three litres of fluid gone (think of a 1-1/2 two litre bottles of pop) from my belly, I'm hoping the chemotherapy can manage to take care of what's left by attacking the tumours that make it their job to produce ascities. Then hopefully, my body can start to return to a more normal state and I'll need fewer drugs for it to function properly. I know I still have to be patient, but I anxiously look forward to those days.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment