Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's chemo day

It's chemo day! It's chemo day!

Yes, I know, I shouldn't be excited, but I am. I want to get more of those toxic, cancer-killing chemicals in me so they will work. I want to move forward. I want the cancer gone. I want to feel normal.

Normal is exactly what I didn't feel yesterday; I felt awful. My stomach hurt terribly. I had sharp, gas-like pains in my stomach and abdomen, cramping, vomiting and a general feelings of unwellness. I consumed mostly liquids (because I didn't feel like eating) and then when I ate dinner, I saw it again, and again.

I was extremely worried by the pain because it reminded me of the type that sent me to the hospital for emergency surgery because of a perforation. But, that pain didn't have the gas movement that accompanies this particular discomfort. So I'm hopeful it's nothing too serious.

While I don't see Dr. W today, I will mention yesterday's symptoms to my chemo nurse and ask her to pass along the news to him. I would love to discuss this latest phenomenon.

Of course, it could be any number of things: residual pain from the paracentesis, gas build-up in my body (that I always seem to have), a virus (there are many going around), too much Activia and Bran Buds on Tuesday, a fluke, an ulcer. Who knows? What I do know is when a day like yesterday happens, I, and everyone around me, gets incredibly worried and stressed.

I wish I had some answers. Is this chemo working? Is the cancer shrinking? What is this gas I seem to have all the time? Am I damaging my body by taking steroids regularly? When will this all come together?

I was so positive the other day, and I wish I could stay that way, but this journey is a roller coaster of ups and downs, highs and lows, optimism and depression. And it changes day by day.

Thank you for accompanying me on this wild ride.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina,
    Hope you feel better today - good luck with your treatment and die, cancer, die!!!!!!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers...
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy chemo day! I hope it went well for you. This ride is definitely filled with ups and downs, and it's perfectly okay to explore and take in every one of them. Let it all out! Thinking of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete