Saturday, April 7, 2012

And so I ask . . .

If I don't ask, I definitely won't get.

That's been my philosophy over the past week or so as I've communicated with more than 100 people via email, Facebook message or in person to ask for donations for The Run for Ovarian Cancer. It's the 10th anniversary of this event and we're hoping to reach the $1 million mark. That means raising $160,000 this year alone. That's an ambitious number, and I'm doing my part to make it a reality.

I ask because I truly believe in this cause. All the money raised goes to directly to the talented researchers right here in London - not to administration nor advertising. We could be on the edge of an amazing breakthrough for detecting, treating and hopefully eradicating this horrible disease. The ovarian cancer fatality statistics of horrifyingly high. They scare me because I'm coming up on my third-year cancerversary. Sixty per cent of women diagnosed don't make it past five years. But I have to remember, I am not a statistic and new treatments are being discovered all the time to change this heartbreaking number.

A penny for your thoughts
The amazing members of Team Tina are also doing some great fundraising at London Life. One of the events is a penny drive. So, if you're in the London area and have a jar, flowerpot, bag or collection of pennies you'd like to donate, just let me (or any other member of Team Tina) know. Each penny is only a cent, but pooling them together to raise money for research just makes sense.

These hardworking fundraisers also have been working on a few other great ideas, including Starbucks runs to deliver delicious coffee and treats to co-workers and selling a teal nail polish with the cool moniker of "Teal the Cows Come Home." My daughter, Tara, and I are both sporting the funky shade on our toes right now.

Stepping outside the comfort zone for a good cause
Quite honestly, while I've been busy with my solicitations, asking for money makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. I would never make it as a working as a fundraiser or at a foundation for a charitable organization. I envision all the other things people have to spend their money on and all the other good charities out there and envision a "no." I know that's the wrong thing to do, but it's how I feel.

But this cause is near and dear to my heart and soul, and selfishly, it may even help me and so I ask . . . ask . . . ask . . .

I'd be honoured if you'd consider helping the fundraising efforts for this run - and in the end, helping the many women and their families this disease touches.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment