Friday, April 13, 2012

Port in, PICC gone

I have to admit, I was a tad bit nervous before my port insertion yesterday. It didn't help matters that I didn't get wheeled down to Interventional Radiology until about 1 p.m., after being told to show up at 11 a.m. I think the nurses were having trouble with the computer system and I didn't get registered properly, which caused a bit of a delay. So I laid on my stretcher, covered with warm blankets, anxiously waiting for a procedure . . . that wasn't bad.

Yup, you read right. The idea of the surgery was far worse than actuality:

The procedure: Cut a 1-1/2 to 2 inch incision in the upper chest to insert a round loonie-sized (about an inch) device under the skin and then thread a catheter tube up into one of the main arteries (usually the superior vena cava) in the neck. Then sew it all in place.

They gave me some drugs to relax and calm me (although I never got drowsy enough to fall asleep and instead listened to the conversation of the doctor and nurses). They also gave me local anaesthesia to numb the site, which the doc had to inject more of part way through the procedure because I started to feel pain. But mostly I felt pressure and dabbing (of blood).

Last night, I had surprisingly little discomfort at the site. This morning, I'm more sore, but it's not unbearable and I'm sticking to the extra strength Tylenol to take the edge off instead of getting into the big guns of the Tylenol 3s. I took one T3 before bed last night as a precaution, but I'm not sure I really needed it.

The biggest inconvenience so far was sleeping at a 30 degree angle last night. I'm a side sleeper who snuggles down into my pillows and blankets. So to be propped up on my back with three pillows under my head just wasn't natural feeling for me. But somehow, I managed to dose off and stay asleep in that position until about 3:30 a.m. Then I rolled on my side (still all propped up) for another hour of shut eye. By 4:30, I was done with the strange sleeping positions - hence the early blog.

I'm now sipping on my second cup of coffee and munching on some blueberry muffins a friend from work generously provided for my family.

Coughing seems to hurt the most and unfortunately, I have a touch of the stupid cold that seems to be making its rounds. Feeling sinus pressure and snuffly didn't help my disposition while waiting yesterday either. All I wanted to do was nap. But perhaps the cold was a minor blessing because it may have helped me sleep last night. It's all how you look at it.

Today is chemo day. I start the second round of three treatments of the weekly Paclitaxol. While I did enjoy having a chemo vacation this past week because it meant no depressive side-effects, I'm relieved to start blasting the cancer again; especially since its work seems to be lowering my CA-125 and therefore working on the tumours. Yippee!

The radiologist left the needle in the port so I could get my chemo through it this morning. Usually, the nurses in the chemo suite would insert a special curved needle into the port each treatment, but because that would be painful right after the port insertion, he left it in for chemo today and then it will be removed. I've got a prescription for a special numbing cream that I'll put on an hour before each treatment to make the needle insertion less painful.

The radiology nurse also removed the PICC line yesterday. So for the first time since last August, when I had the drainage bag inserted to collect ascities fluid, I am without a device sticking out of my body. Once the port heals and the swelling goes down, it will be completely underneath my skin. I may have a slight bump, but I'll have no tubes or bags dangling from my body any more!

Yesterday, I heard from at least three nurses, "Oh, you'll like having the port so much better." That only reinforced I made the right decision. Not that I had much doubt. For me, it's about quality of life. I want to be able to enjoy the activities I love like swimming, the hot tub, the beach, so when the port is an option, I certainly had to go for it.

I have to do more of that "going for it" in my life to ensure I'm making the most of the energy, time and opportunities I do have - even while underegoing treatment. As hard as it is some days to see past the side-effects, I have to take advantage of the good days to simply live life the best I can.

Happy Friday everyone!
Tina

1 comment:

  1. I bawled like a baby the day I realized I would be getting a port. There was something about needing such a God-awful thing that really got to me. Later on, I was so "glad" I had one. I think a port is the way to go if possible when you need chemo. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete