Friday, April 13, 2012

Three-year cancerversary

As I posted my other blog this morning, I glanced at the date and noticed it's my three-year cancerversary. Three years ago today, my doctor broke the news I have cancer.

Any survivor will tell you, they remember the exact place and time they received that dreadful news. A cancerversary dredges up some pretty strong memories of shock, disbelief, anger and helplessness.

I remember I was sitting in my cubicle at work, getting ready to head down to the gym to run when I got the phone call from my doctor. While we didn't know it was ovarian cancer yet (the initial suspicion was uterine), she did know it was the big C.

After the phone call, I sat in shock at my desk, wondering what to do. I called Michael. I called my sister. I rallied some of my closest friends from work to ask for their support and help (and they've come through with flying colours). But mostly, I tried to absorb the news that would change my life.

And change my life it has. Mostly, in bad ways because cancer is not a gift, but it can - and has - brought about some good changes through the ways its opened my eyes to what's important in life and the wonderful people its allowed me to meet (or get to know better) and incorporate in my life.

While I recognize my cancerversary, I'm certainly not saying Happy Cancerversary. It's a date to recognize because I'm still fighting and I won't give up. I hope to celebrate many more cancerversaries because it'll mean I'm still here.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. As my one season "cancerversary" techniques, I understand that God was positioning my side the whole voyage. He provided me durability and bravery when I required it and he smashed me down so I could develop powerful with Him again.

    Online Pharmacy Without Prescription

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahh, yes, those dates are with us forever now aren't they? My second anniversary is approaching. Ugh. so many memories. But as you said, we're still here!

    ReplyDelete