Sunday, April 15, 2012

Post taxol chemo 2A

Everything went well on Friday when I started my second round of paclitaxol chemotherapy. The port worked like a dream, with the drug transfusing smoothly into the vein with no sticks and no pain. I was once again told how I'll like having a port so much better by at least two chemo nurses.

Now I know there could be some pain involved with inserting the needle for future treatments (it was left in after the procedure on Thursday because I was getting chemo on Friday) because I got a prescription for a topical anaesthetic called Emla. This cream is to be applied at least an hour before the nurses puncture the porta cath.

I understand this cream works like a charm to freeze the area. It should be a miracle cream considering it cost $60 for a small tube, and it's not covered by any drug plan. But apparently, you don't need a lot and it's got to be better than suffering from the pain. If someone developed this strong numbing cream to prevent the discomfort associated with accessing the port, it has to hurt. So I purchased the Emla cream for next Friday and we'll see how well it works.

So the chemo went well. Afterwards, I went out for lunch with my friend, Carrie, who accompanied me to the hospital and then came home for a good nap. I was tired from the treatment and from sleeping propped up. Yesterday was a pretty good day too. The port site fluctuates between being slightly uncomfortable to itchy, which is a good sign because it means it's healing. But the discomfort is minor and I only had to take two Extra Strength Tylenols yesterday.

My tastebuds are starting to make some foods taste funny and skunky, but I'm still managing to enjoy my deliciously warm coffee this morning. The stupid sinus cold is also making a bit of a return, much to my chagrin. I don't want to have to deal with both a cold and post-chemo symptoms at the same time, but it will be what it will be. I guess sleeping is good for both of them.

So we'll see what today brings, because usually the side effects start on Sunday afternoons. I've got some homework to help supervise with the kids and some movies to watch. Hopefully distractions will help me focus on something besides the after-effects of the chemotherapy.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going well. I talked to a woman yesterday who has had her port for 13 years and she says, "I will never let them take it out because it makes life so much easier." She is an ovarian cancer IIIC, diagnosed 13 years ago and except for one recurrence, she is doing great.

    Always good to read your blogs.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina I have stage two breast cancer and have had 3 treatments of TAXOL. I have the port and I do not experience any pain when injecting Taxol into my port (I don't use the cream). What I do to relieve my aches are to soak my feet in baking soda very warm water 45 minutes before I go to bed. I also rinse my mouth 3 times a day with salt, baking soda and have not experienced the soars. I will add you to my prays and know that the power of pray is very powerful. A toast to all of us survivors, Angie T

    ReplyDelete