Sunday, April 22, 2012

A brief update

For those who want/need it, here's the latest update:

The port worked like a dream. While there was some slight pressure and very minor discomfort when the needle was inserted, I think it is because the site isn't healed up entirely. The port has been placed in a pocket under my skin and I think it's that area that hurt (because it also hurts when I press on it now) and it wasn't the needle going through my skin. So the good news is the very expensive Emla cream does its job. It will be excellent moving forward as the site heals up.

I can also see/feel the tubing that runs from the port up into my major vein. Its prominence is decreasing and the chemo nurse said that over time, I won't even notice it. I guess the area hasn't healed entirely and the swelling will go down as it does.

My bloodwork came back good enough for the chemo (obviously) although my red blood cells and platlets are both dropping at a slow but steady pace. But as long as they stay in the acceptable range, I'm okay. I do know that lower red blood cells make me feel tired and weak, so I don't want them to drop too much. But I know Dr. W will keep a close eye on them to make sure I'm safely receiving my treatments.

I'm done two out of the three chemo treatments for this round. I feel tired, but overall okay today. I managed to have about half an hour of fun playing wii Fit this morning and I've been reading and relaxing. Yesterday, I had a few stomach pains but I'm attributing those to the ninjas fighting away in my abdomen. I notice my tastebuds aren't as active as they could be too, which is unfortunate since I have a lovely steak and baked potato planned for dinner.

But it could be worse and I know I'm heading to those days.

I'm not looking forward to the depression that I know is coming. I just have to work my way through it. It's ironic, when I'm in the depths of it, I feel the depression will never end and I can't cope. Then I get through it, get a couple of days away from it and I get the mental strength to face it again. I hope I can be stronger when I'm in it this time. I was a bit weepy during the last round.

Overall, between treatments, I'm feeling better. I haven't thrown up in over a week, I can eat, I'm having bowel movements almost daily. They're small victories, but ones I have to celebrate because maybe, just maybe, this means these weekly paclitaxel treatments are working to make the cancer shrink.

I can hope.

Tina



1 comment:

  1. It’s actually a nice and useful piece of post. I am glad that you simply shared with us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete