Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Back to reality, but thankful

Well, it's back to reality. Unfortunately, my real life is a lot harder to return to than many. I don't have the luxury of coming back from vacation to simply return to my job, organizing my kids, sorting through the paperwork and cleaning my house. While I still have the majority of those tasks on my to-do list, my reality involves returning to chemotherapy treatments. Given how much better I've been feeling, I'm dreading Friday.

But I have no choice. I have to keep chipping away at these tumours occupying my abdomen. I have to continue to blast them with the toxic chemicals of the chemo. And unfortunately, I have to continue to go through the terribly depressing side effects that come along with the whole thing.

I think the anti-depressants are working a bit. I've felt happier during the past few days. Of course, it could have been because I was on vacation in a sunny locale with my sister, reading books and relaxing. It could be that I escaped the harsh reality that is my life right now for just a little while. But hopefully, it's also the medication and I can be cheerier when I'm not plagued by the side effects and not quite so down when the chemo depression grips me. Time will tell because it takes about three weeks before the full effects of the medication take effect.

This morning I sit here, choosing to be thankful for the opportunity to get away with my wonderful. generous sister, that I had energy and stamina to do some shopping and dining out on the trip, and for the sunshine and warmth I experienced. I will enjoy these last few days of feeling pretty good and then go see Dr. W tomorrow and get my chemo on Friday.

Luckily, I feel okay for a few days after the blast of chemicals because The Run for Ovarian Cancer is this Sunday. As of this morning, Team Tina has 45 fabulous members and has raised (online only) over $6,500. The generous organization of London Life matches $6,000 of that. Woo hoo! A group of very supportive people at London Life did a ton of fundraising through activities and a penny drive, and I know many, many wonderfully generous people participated in these events. I'm so very grateful for all the hard work and the generosity. It's not too late to join the team or sponsor a runner by clicking on the link above.

So I guess I have even more to be thankful for than my Myrtle Beach vacation, I'm also blessed with the support of Team Tina and the generosity of all those who donate to the run. I'm thankful for the researchers who work hard every day to try to beat this disease. I'm grateful for the support of my family and friends that comes in many, many forms. For all those things, I'm a lucky woman.

Tina



1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a chance to relax and breathe...Just breathe. Wishing you strength for the next round.

    ReplyDelete