Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good news

Yesterday, chemo took about five hours, but was uneventful. And during the process, I got good news, which makes this whole ordeal more palatable.

My CA-125 is down to 60! That means the taxol is working on the tumours. Normal is under 35, but I'm not sure I'll ever reach that magic number again. Being at 60 is amazing and the news made me tear up yesterday.

Just to give you some perspective, it was in the 400s before I started treatment. It dropped to 223 on March 8 with the cisplatin and gemcitabine treatments (but it took a long time to do that). Then a few weeks ago, after starting the taxol, it dropped to around 125. And now it's 60!

Part of me now second guesses switching the treatment to the every three week regimen, but as I reasoned in my blog yesterday, I have to have a life. I need quality in it and not just quantity. And who knows, maybe the bigger doses every three weeks will work just as effectively. Time will tell.

As for how I'm feeling today after that bigger dose of taxol, I'm experiencing a little bit of nausea/stomach pain. But I had a good night's sleep and am feeling a little less tired. I know the steroids are contributing to pumping me up and I hope they help during the Run for Ovarian Cancer tomorrow. I'm excited about seeing everyone, but nervous about my energy levels. So please forgive me if I seem a bit tired and distracted.

I love every member of Team Tina (and all who donated) for your support and participation. You rock!

Tina

3 comments:

  1. Tina, this is FANTASTIC NEWS! I wake up in Aus and think "how is our Tina?' Sharing your story is very generous, I hope my positive vibes help.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such great news! I think that you should be able to get lower than that as Taxol is hard-core stuff (as you know). I hope the run went well! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastidc news, Tina!! YAY.

    ReplyDelete