Thursday, October 28, 2010

The details

Yesterday, I took my cues from Dr. H and he was happy, so I felt the same way after my appointment to discuss the results of my CT scan. In fact, I was so relieved the results were good I didn't ask many questions.Of course, now I have questions, but since I see him again next Wednesday, I'll ask them next week.

It didn't help that he was really behind yesterday. While my appointment was scheduled for 3:30 p.m., I didn't see Dr. H until around 5. It was dusk when Michael and I walked hand and hand out of the cancer centre.

The nitty gritty scientific results
Dr. H pulled out a copy of my shadowy grey, black and white CT pictures, which compared the snapshot of my abdomen from June 22 to the one from Oct. 26. According to what he saw, the tumour they were tracking is gone, the omental caking has disappeared and the ascities isn't visible.

But, in the accompanying report, the radiologist provided measurements for what he's assuming to be the same original mass. If that's the case, it's only shunk minimally from 20.44 mm to 17.45 mm.

Dr. H. thinks the measurements are from two different masses, and the second one seems to be on the wall of my bowel. As a result, Dr. H has asked the radiologist to go back through the scans to ensure they're comparing the same shadowy grey dots.

I'm not exactly sure what's on my bowel and whether I need to worry about it. That's one of the questions I should have asked before walking out of the office. I guess I'll get some more clarity at my next appointment. But Dr. H didn't seem worried - in fact he said I did really well - and so I didn't fret. (Now I'm a bit worried.)

The good news
Overall, I'm relieved with the results. Even though there may be something (or maybe nothing) on my bowel, the cancer isn't growing rampant. I still have time to enjoy my life. Once the news really sunk in last night, I kept smiling with Michael because we have more time together.

The CT report says:
 - My lungs are clear
- Extensive omental masses have significantly improved since CT on Aug. 24
- No adenopathy (no cancer in my lymph nodes)
- My spleen, pancreas and adrenals are normal
- My liver demonstrates fatty infiltration (probably due to chemo) and has small hepatic capsular nodules, which have been seen before, and are probably unchanged
- I still have my hernia, gallstones and rotated kidneys (like the chemo was going to fix that)

At the bottom, the report says, "The single target lesion in the right lower quadrant is not representative of the improvement which has taken place."

So even the radiologist thinks what seems to be miniscule shrinkage doesn't represent how well I'm doing on the treatment. There's something not quite adding up and I'm somehow confident all will be okay.

The maintenance
I'm now done with chemo. Yippee! I started the maintenance program this morning. I now take eight Olaparib capsules morning and night. I still can't eat or drink anything but water for an hour before and two hours after each dose, but I'll have to learn to live with that.

I mentioned to C, my research nurse, I'm worried about the side effects I'll experience on the mono therapy. According to her experience, the side effects are very minimal. I hope that's the case with me too. I guess I'll find out.

Moving forward
Dr. H is going to continue to watch me very closely, which I find reassuring. I have weekly appointments in Hamilton for the next three weeks to ensure I tolerate the double dose of Olaparib well. Then the time between appointments will increase to three weeks and then every six weeks. So I'll have plenty of time to ask my questions and discuss any side effects.

With no more chemotherapy treatments, I'll gradually get stronger, my blood cell levels will rise, my energy will start to come back and my hair will make a reappearance. I'm looking forward to it all.

I guess I can now sign off with more confidence,

Tina
Your cancer-slaying friend

2 comments:

  1. TEARS OF JOY MY FRIEND... I'll shed those types ANYTIME!!!
    So happy, so relieved, so joyful... HIP HIP HURRAY FOR YOU... (and all of us!!)
    xoxoxo
    (no more DCD needed!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A million billion congratulations to you. I've been holding my breath (and thinking about you more than you know) and was so relieved to read of phenomenal news. So happy for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete