Thursday, October 7, 2010

High hemoglobin and more kilometres

Maybe it's my winning personality or easy-going ways. Perhaps they like my sense of humour or my smiling face during our visits. Or (this is the real reason), Health Canada reviewed the protocol of the clinical trial and made some changes. Regardless of this reason, the number of visits required to participate in the clinical trial during the maintenance portion have more than doubled.

So, keeping with the dwarf theme, hi ho, hi ho, off to Hamilton I continue to go.

It's a good thing I like my doc and nurse. And I was just saying yesterday, I really don't mind the drive. I also know they're taking good care of me and monitoring my situation. So it's all good.

But first things, first. My recovery and dehydrating abilities (including those two beers on Tuesday night) must be phenomenal because my hemoglobin was 104 yesterday; well above the 100 necessary to get chemo. So my last treatment will be Friday, without an additional blood test that morning. Yipee!

And since it's a go, my nurse went over the schedule after Friday. It's going to be a whirlwind of events.

My end-of-chemo CT scan is on Oct. 26, two and a half weeks after my last chemo. That's when we'll learn the black ninjas and the big, white capsules eradicated that tumour (fingers crossed). All clinical trial CT scans are done on Tuesdays in Hamilton, but, Dr. H is away at a big cancer conference - where Olaparib will be one topic of discussion - so I'll return on Wednesday, Oct. 27 for my appointment with him. At that time, we'll discuss the results of my CT scan, and do the end of chemo/beginning of maintenance transition.

I'm sure I'll get my maintenance supply of Olaparib at that time. The dose doubles during that phase, so I'll be swallowing eight of the giant pills morning and night. I also will not be able to consume anything but water between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. That puts a bit of a damper on my social life, but I'll have to get used to it.

That means this cycle, I'll only have 2-1/2 days without the pills and their rigid time restrictions on eating and drinking. When I expressed my disappointment, Dr. H was encouraging, saying "you get to go on the wonderful drug even quicker." Yes, but I'm a little worried the side effects I experience with chemo and Olaparib together will continue. He doesn't understand the lack of tastebuds, heartburn, upset stomach, lack of appetite and general feeling of unwellness. He assured me those shouldn't be present with Olaparib alone. But he doesn't know. So I worry.

After I start the maintenance program, I need to visit the cancer centre weekly for the first three weeks. At that time, they'll monitor my blood levels and go over my list of side effects and symptoms to ensure I'm tolerating the new dose.

Then instead of every 12 weeks, as was listed in the original protocol, I'll return every six for monitoring. I'll continue to have CT scans every 12 weeks to check out any residual evidence of cancer (again, I hope there is NONE).

I wasn't upset when I learned about all the additional visits. I know it's for my health and safety. The first thing I said in response was, "I guess I'd better renew my parking card." At least, I'm getting Olaparib. That's the most important factor. The additional appointments, while a little annoying and expensive, are a small price to pay for the chance to continue to kill those cancer cells.

I continue to be the cancer slayer.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are almost done with chemo, so am I! One more to go. What is Olaparib exactly? Sounds like you will be in an intense follow up, but that is good. You go cancer slayer!

    ReplyDelete