Friday, October 22, 2010

A few observations

Since I'm almost recovered from my last chemo, I thought I'd take this opportunity to blog about a few cancer-related observations. Some are serious, others funny, while some make you go hunh.

It's supposed to be a fun list and it's solely from my perspective. But I welcome input from any other cancer survivors out there.

1. Without eyelashes, I blink more.

2. Eyelashes prevent sleep from accumulating in my eye. I don't know where it goes.

3. Chemo acne is angry, lasts longer and resists treatment more than regular acne.

4. There is usually a chemo resistant hair, just to add dimension to the beautiful bald look. The rest of my head may shine in the bathroom light, but I'll find one or two hairs (that are an inch or longer) poking straight up, ruining my Kojak look.

5.  In the week after chemo, when my fingers and toes are tingly, hot water feels hotter and cold feels colder. (I know the tingly is probably pre-neuropathy, which is a loss of feeling, so I have to be careful with temperatures).

6. When hemoglobin levels are low, I feel the cold more than usual. Brrrrrr. I'm going to have to break out a toque soon.

7.  During the week or so post chemo, I move a lot slower and my movements are a lot more precise. I have to pay more attention to what I'm doing (ironically, when I don't have the concentration). Tasks take a little longer and require more energy.

8. The steroids make my body swell. For a few days, my fingers look like little sausages and I have to take off my rings.

9. When my body is swollen, it is extremely sensitive to touch and pressure. During this period, when Michael holds my hand, he squeezes too hard (even though it's the same pressure he usually uses). He has to be very, very gentle.

10. My moustache area (you know that little space of skin between your mouth and your nose) goes numb about a week after my treatment. When this happens, my tastebuds go numb too. (I think this may be Olaparib related.) When this happens, most food doesn't have flavour, only texture. It's weird.

These ten random observations reflect my experience with cancer and chemo, and may be ones you don't read about in a book or side-effect sheet. Everyone's experience is different, but I'm sure there are also some commonalities.

While I look forward to leaving these behind, I also think it's important to talk about them. Some of them may remain while on Olaparib, and I figure one day I may have to go on chemo again, so this will be a good reminder of what to expect. It's amazing how much I (intentionally?) forget when I leave chemo behind.

Besides, other cancer survivors may experience some of these side effects and wonder if they're alone. It's nice to hear others have been in the same boat.

Like I said at the beginning (and as always), I welcome comments, feedback, input about other chemo side effects or questions.

From your (currently) relatively side-effect-free friend,
Tina

5 comments:

  1. I love your list. I can so relate! I do miss my eyelashes, guess I'm vain after all! My eyebrows are getting pretty thin too. Oh well. The other day I spilled a little hot coffee on my bare foot and I didn't even feel the hotness. Kinda freaked me out a bit to realize I'd lost sensation, hopefully a temporary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my eyelashes too. I find that's the worst of the hair loss. But, last time, when they came back they were thicker and longer than before. I LOVED them! Here's hoping you and I have that experience when we once again sport eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my own side effect. My mom used to barf electric yellow (chemo and radiation at the same time)...the first time she looked at it and turned to my father and said, didn't one of the kids' rooms used to be that colour???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how could I have forgotten the pink tinge to my urine and the metallic-looking residue in the bowl that happens the week after chemo? Yikes!

    (I deleted the previous comment because I made a spelling mistake.)

    ReplyDelete