Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Inspired and optimistic

While waiting for test results, there's nothing better than to be reminded of the value of research and clinical trials. 

Last night, I had the honour of attending an event to recognize the sponsors and organizers of The Run for Ovarian Cancer. As the cheque for $125,000 that the event raised this year was presented to the London Health Sciences Centre, I reflected on how much the researchers rely on these funds to continue their valuable work. It made me proud that Team Tina and London Life made such a big contribution to this total.

During this event, I met many wonderful people, including those who work on The Run for Ovarian Cancer organizing committee, the sponsors of the event, the researchers from the Translational Research Team, and a gynaecological oncologist who works every day with women plagued by ovarian cancer. (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and I apologize.)

They were gracious and welcoming, calling me a special guest. I proudly represented the women with ovarian cancer who benefit from the run and the research it funds.

Someone I respect told me last night that I was inspirational. My reply was, "That was never my intention." I never set out to inspire anyone, but to live my life and tell my story so others could understand what it's like to live with ovarian cancer. I write so I can process what is happening to me; as a form of self therapy. Over time, I learned I also write to help other women diagnosed with this terrible disease. Even though each individual's experience is different, we share some common thoughts, feelings and side effects.

Last night, I had the opportunity to talk to some of the ovarian cancer researchers, who were interested in hearing about my experience with Olaparib. It was a pleasure talking to them. I greatly respect the work they're doing. I believe, one day, their research will provide new ways to detect and treat this deadly cancer.

Although I was tired from waiting around at the hospital for my CT scan (they were behind) and my jaunt to Hamilton, the event energized me. It felt so good to be part of the celebration and I felt humbled to be in such amazing company.

I was asked to speak last night and I'm including my speech at the bottom of my blog. As many of you know, I'm not very comfortable with public speaking, but I'll put aside my anxiety any time to talk about such an important subject.

It's test result day in Hamilton. I head there this afternoon to give blood and see Dr. H. After being inspired last night and with the sun streaming in my window, I'm optimistic. Besides, my good friend texted me this morning to say she woke to "my" Bon Jovi, so it's got to be a good day. I know there are also many friends who are praying for good news. Thank you. I feel the support and love. And I look forward to writing my post-appointment blog to share the good news. (How's that for believing?)

Your cancer slaying friend,
Tina

My speech from last night

Thank you. It’s an absolute honour to be here this evening.

I’m currently fighting ovarian cancer for the second time in two years. When I was first diagnosed in April 2009, my friends at work quickly organized a team to participate in The Run for Ovarian Cancer. In less than a month, this team grew to over 70 participants and Team Tina was one of the top fundraisers. Thanks to the London Life matching program, we contributed a large sum to support the run’s efforts.

Before Team Tina joined this run, I knew nothing about this amazing event that Ann Crowley began in 2003 to help women, like herself, battling ovarian cancer. Over the years, the mandate of the run has grown to include research to find better ways to detect, fight and hopefully beat this insidious disease.

I had the privilege of touring the research facilities at the cancer centre last December and I was amazed at the diverse and mind-boggling work the doctors and researchers are doing. As a writer, I didn’t understand all the medical jargon and the implications of some of the studies, but I comprehended enough to be excited by the feeling that breakthroughs are right around the corner. Heck, I was ready to roll up my sleeve that very day and I often joke that I want to be a guinea pig for some of the projects.

But, they’re not quite ready for human participation yet. So, when I experienced a reoccurrence after nine months in remission I joined a clinical trial that’s studying the effects of a new drug called Olaparib. This clinical trial studies the effect of this drug in conjunction with conventional chemotherapy treatment. This new drug is designed specifically for those with the BRCA gene mutation, which I have. It’s believed to replace the function of this broken gene to prevent the cancer cells from repairing themselves, so they die. In fact my mantras are: one day at a time, and die cancer die!

While I have to travel to Hamilton to participate in this clinical trial, I’m more than willing to do that. I’m extremely thankful for the support The Run for Ovarian Cancer committee provided to help me with the travel for this important study.

I’ve just finished the chemotherapy portion of the clinical trial and now move on to the Olaparib maintenance portion. Fingers crossed, this drug will continue to kill the cancer cells and make me cancer free.

This evening is about celebrating the great work of The Run for Ovarian Cancer and those who sponsor and participate in the event. It’s also about the amazing and ground-breaking work of the researchers and doctors who search every day for a way to beat this disease. I know the efforts of all these people make a big difference to the women who fight ovarian cancer.

So thank you to everyone here and all those involved in the run. Thank you for inviting me here. And thank you all the hard work and support. I believe it will save many, many lives – maybe even mine.

1 comment:

  1. Great speech!
    I look forward to hearing the good news on your results tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete