Thursday, October 21, 2010

Miles before I sleep

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

I heard that quote last night and thought to myself, "Yeah, that's how I feel!"

While I have to admit, I am quite satisfied with my life and the choices I've made, there are still lots of things I'd like to do. None of them are extremely pressing and if I don't get around to them, I won't be traumatized. But I have a curious sense of adventure, so there are activities I think would be fun to try.

Some of these include:

- Riding a zip line in the rain forest
- Visiting the Whitesunday Islands in Australia
- Skydiving (again)
- Whitewater rafting (next spring everyone!)
- Taking a ranch-type holiday (with lots of horseback riding)
- Going back to Myrtle Beach (or other exciting destination with my sister)
- Camping with my family (I haven't done it in two years!)

Some of the bigger events I'd love to experience:

- Watching my children graduate college/university and get their first jobs
- Celebrating the marriage (or significant relationship) of my children
- Being a grandmother
- Being an empty nester and retiring with Michael
- Being cancer free for years and years

Oh, I'm sure I could go on and on with each list. Obviously, achieving the goals on the second list are far more important to me. But those goals require something I'm not guaranteed: time.

Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about my life and acknowledge that I'm pretty darn lucky. I love my life. I have few regrets. And I love that I can say that.

So I'll live for today while praying for the gift of time. Hopefully, I'll be able to personify Frost's poem and go for miles and miles before I sleep.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. OK seriously - If you come to Calgary with the family we can make like 3 of the things on the first list happen:
    - WWR
    - Family Camping
    - Horseback Riding
    Others things that would be cool while here:
    - hanging out with me
    - climbing a Rocky mountain
    - Zip lining at Canada Olympic Park from the top of the '88 Olympic Ski Jump towers
    - Going to Banff/Canmore/Kananaskis
    - Hanging out with me!

    Just sayin... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lillian,

    Yes. Please do! :)

    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete