Saturday, October 9, 2010

A hilarious way to mark 2011

Once again, I'm overwhelming thankful for all the wonderful things my village does for me. Each week, just before chemo, my fridge and freezer are filled with delicious meals and treats from my friends at work. One couple insists on sending something amazing every week. Others ask when the food is being delivered and, despite busy lives, make the effort to make something on at least one of the weeks. Those who don't feel they can cook or don't have the time, buy pre-made food or send gift cards. Thanks to all of you, we Bratschers will never starve.

But I don't only get food. Others generously donate money for gas, housecleaning or other necessities, they visit and email, buy me cofee, lunch, angels, saint medallians, crosses and other beautiful gifts, accompany me to appointments to ensure I'm not alone, participate in the Run for Ovarian Cancer, pray for me, or make other generous offers to help with my fight. I am so stunned by the giving spirit of people. I even feel guilty that I'm the recipient of such amazing support. Despite having cancer, I am incredibly lucky.

On Thursday, I found out about another astonishing, yet up-until-then secret endeavour. I'd heard inklings of a fundraiser organized by my department at work, but knew it was hush hush and didn't ask too many questions. When I got an envelope of money on Thursday to help with my housecleaner, I had to find out details.

So Thursday evening, I got a copy of the 2011 fundraising calender created by the Communications and Advertising Department at London Life. I cried at the hard work, thoughtfulness and generosity. But those tears were quickly replaced by ones of laughter. It's a hilarious creation that will bring a smile to my lips every single time I look at it.

I've been told the project was a group effort. All the designers in the department worked on various pages, others kept track of the pre-sales and organized the money, other advertised and sold to folks all around the building, the brave ones volunteered to be photographed (not knowing how their pictures would be used within the calendar pages), it's being printed by our team, and of course, many, many people from both inside and outside London Life bought copies of the amazing and laugh-inducing way to mark time next year (without ever seeing the finished product).

Wow! I'm honoured and flabbergasted. I LOVE it! I am so very, very thankful for both the calendar and their proceeds. Some days I don't have enough energy to crawl out of bed and then with the many, many appointments to Hamilton, my house gets very messy. The donation is exactly what I need to ensure I don't overdo it while I'm recovering and staves off embarassment when I receive visitors. My village once again comes through - and for the second year in a row - and gives and gives and gives. I will keep saying it, I am an incredibly lucky woman.

My wonderful village is just one of the many things I have to celebrate on this Thanksgiving weekend. But I have to admit, all those who support and love me during these battles with cancer are near the top of my list. So thank you all.

Be sure to take a few minutes to remember all for which you're thankful this sunny, Thanksgiving weekend. You may be amazed at how many items grace your list.

Tina

4 comments: