Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pocket angel

I've blogged about some pretty heavy topics over the last couple of days, therefore, I'm going to lighten it up today.

My cancer journey has opened many doors for me and allowed me to meet all kinds of interesting people. Some of these individuals, even if the interaction is only brief, have touched my life.

In August, I was having my mid-study CT scan done in Hamilton when Michael and I started talking to a woman, named Shirley, in the waiting room. Our conversation revealed, she is battling an ovarian cancer reoccurence too. We passed the time chatting about early morning appointments, the peach-flavoured contrast drink and clinical trials.

I don't remember how we got onto the topic of angels, but over the course of the conversation, Shirley revealed she was a glass blower, and she'd created small glass angels to be handed out at her funeral. I thought this was amazing because all the friends who came to celebrate her life would leave with a wonderful gift to remind them of her. She would live on in memories provoked each time the recipient held or looked at these glass angels.

While I had my CT scan completed, Michael continued the conversation, telling Shirley I write a blog describing my ovarian cancer journey, which she promised to check out. He also discovered she is a famous glass blower, the one who designs and creates each individual Juno award. We walked out of the hospital thinking how cool it was to have a minor brush with someone so talented and famous, and reflecting on the fact that anyone can be touched by cancer's cold, dark fingers.

A few weeks later, I found a small, white Fed Ex box in my doorway. Tears touched my eyes and a warm feeling passed through me as I opened the box to reveal two Shirley Elford pocket angels nestled inside the wrapping.

Michael often carries his angel in his pocket. I think he holds it to gain strength during trying times or as a way of remembering the generosity and kindness of a fleeting friend. I carry mine in my cancer bag so I transport the strength of the angels with me whenever I go to Hamilton. It also reminds me of Shirley who's also trying to slay the ovarian cancer dragon.

We shared a group hug with Shirley to say thank you when we saw her at the cancer centre a short time after we received our angelic gifts. She was very gracious, and took the short reacquaintance to share she too was starting a clinical trial. I wish her the best of luck, very few side effects and many extra years.

Shirley is just one of many people I've met during this journey who's positively touched my life. So, even though cancer brings many terrible and uncomfortable experiences, I'm trying to focus on the positive outcomes my dance with this disease brings.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. WOAH!!! That is totally cool!!!! Whoooo! Yeah for Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley Elford, sadly lost her fight on November 10th, 2011.
    A ceremony of life will be open to the public this coming Sunday in Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete