Friday, December 17, 2010

A big dose of cheer

When I was off sick last year, I often went back to work to visit with my friends and colleagues. I needed the connection, I craved the sense of normalcy and I think I defined myself by my work a lot more back then. This year, I haven't been back once - until yesterday.

Part of the reason is this time the chemo kicked the crap out of me. I felt far more tired and run down than last time, and I didn't think I was up to visiting.

But yesterday, my communications team planned a Christmas lunch, so I went. It was great fun and the food was good. Then I lucked out, because the department held a baby shower for a women who's due any day - and I got cake. During this festive event, I had the opportunity to chat with many members of the communications department. It was great.

Then I visited the marketing area I support. Luckily a few folks were kicking around and I was able to visit with them. But I'm sorry I missed some people during my visit yesterday. Some were out of the office and I didn't get to visit with others because I ran out of time.

Even though I was tired by the end of the day, seeing many of my friends and colleagues was awesome. To me, the visit was a big dose of Christmas cheer, and exactly what I needed.

While I have to wait until my next doctor's appointment in mid-January to plan my return to work (to make sure my hemoglobin is up and the CT scan doesn't show any suprises), I suspect I'll go back in late January. I'll have to adjust my lifestyle again (it's amazing how I can now fill my days without working), but it'll be good to go back.

I hope you experience something in your day that brings you cheer.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!! :( But I'm happy one of us got to see everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete