Saturday, December 18, 2010

Surprise!

Today, Michael and I are surprising our kids with a trip to Toronto. Yeah, I know, they've been to Toronto lots of times, but this trip is different. We're going on the train (they've never been on a train), staying in a hotel and going to a show.

It's a pre-Christmas, end-of-school, let's hang out as a family celebration.

They know we're going somewhere. I announced earlier this week they should not make plans for the weekend. I've told them to pack clothes for two days, a bathing suit and some goggles. I instructed them to fill only a backpack (that they can carry themselves) with toys to amuse themselves - including chargers for electric games.

As a result, they're curious and have asked questions to which I've answered yes, no or I can't answer that. They've speculated about our destination.

How long are we going to be in the car? We're travelling about 20 minutes in the car. It's true. From our house to the train station it's about 20 minutes.

We're going somewhere with a pool. Or maybe we're going to someone's house and they have a pool.

Are we going to Great Wolf Lodge? No.

We're sleeping there? Yes.

Are we going to be indoors? Like any day, you'll be indoors and outdoors.

And a bunch of other questions.

Their grandmother is here to drive us to the train station. I hope they'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a little anxious about their reaction.

We're travelling VIA 1 (or first class). It's God-awful expensive, but Michael won a gift certificate at his Christmas party last year and I had points I cashed in to purchase the tickets. I wanted Michael to experience VIA 1, with its nice meals and free alcohol, at least once.

We got a great deal on the hotel and theatre tickets with a Toronto tourism package. The hotel is considered downtown. but it's a little further northeast. We're going to see Miracle on Mercer Street tomorrow afternoon. From what I've read, it's a Muppet-like Christmas-themed performance designed for kids. I think they'll like it.

We'll swim in the pool, check out the Christmas lights at the Eaton's Centre and generally see what trouble we can find. We'll be as active or as laid back as we want. That's the beauty of a vacation like this. I think it's exactly what we need.

So off we go,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. When we drove back to Ontario in December 2008 we stayed in Portland, Dorchester and then in Toronto. We took the kids to dinner in the CN tower and skated at Nathan Philips square. That's the first trip to Toronto they remember, although we we took them there in 2003, too. I lived there for 7 years and Chris for 11. I do miss it for the restaurants and bustle....and Christmas was always a neat time there. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete