Friday, December 31, 2010

Grateful new year

On this date last year, I was eagerly anticipating celebrating the arrival of a new year. I was sure 2010 couldn't be worse than than 2009; the year in which I received my cancer diagnosis and battled the dreadful disease. I popped the top on a cold beverage and looked forward to the countdown to midnight.

Little did I know, 2010 would bring a similar set of woes. I once again endured treatment for a reoccurence, which sapped my strength and wreaked havoc with my emotions. This return of the evil beast brought many trips to Hamilton, a new doctor, a clinical trial drug and enhanced side effects. It also forced me to more closely examine my inevitable demise (which we all have to come to terms with sooner or later).

While I'll once again enjoy the new year's eve with close friends, good food, a few beverages and some cards, I will propose a different toast when the clock strikes midnight. Instead of cursing the year that passed (even though I have lots of reasons to do just that), I'm going to be grateful I was blessed with another 365 days on this earth.

I'm not going to try to forget the events of the past year because they enlightened me and made me stronger. Besides, lots of good things happened in 2010 too. I went to Myrtle Beach with my sister, and Florida with my family and in-laws. I enjoyed a few days at a beautiful cottage on a lake. My mom got through her cancer treatment and has a clean bill of health. We got a hot tub. I swam in the lake. I celebrated Easter, Christmas, the last day of school, Halloween and lots of birthdays. And most importantly of all, I had time to spend with those I love.

So goodbye to 2010, with all its ups and downs. Hello 2011. I hope you'll be kinder to me and my village. I hope you bring happiness, health, laughter and peace. Whatever happens, each sunrise brings promise, and I'll take each day one at a time.

Happy 2011 everyone!
Tina

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. You've opened my eyes to appreciating 2010 for the good found there. It's a nice way to say goodbye to it, instead of focusing on the negative and wishing it away. Thank you and I hope your 2011 is filled with many good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, This post really made me stop and think because that's exactly the way I have been looking at 2010, I've just been eager to send it on its way. We really should be more open and also appreciate things that were good in 2010. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete