Monday, December 20, 2010

Greetings from Toronto

We managed to do it. Michael and I were able to suprise our kids with our pre-Christmas trip to Toronto.

Noah suspected we were going by train based on the clues, but had no idea we were going VIA 1. They loved it! I think we've spoiled them for travelling by train any other way. They'd better work hard and make good money if they want to continue to purchase seats in first class.

The hotel isn't fancy and its pool is really, quite cold, but it's sufficed as home for the last two nights. We upgraded to a two-bedroom suite once we arrived and it's been worth it. It gave us both a microwave and fridge to prepare food in our room, and provided a little more privacy.

Yesterday, on Tara's insistance, we did a little shopping at the Eaton's Centre, and she spent most of her savings. Then we went to the show Miracle on Mercer Street, which was just okay. It was only an hour long (which makes it quite an expensive experience), but the kids seemed to enjoy it, which is the important thing. It also exposed them to a little live theatre.

This trip, with all its walking, revealed I'm not able to do what I was once able, or what I want. My feet swell and tire VERY easily. Mind you, there's a lot of walking here, but I used to be able to walk for hours. Now, after a few kilometres, my feet burn and I start to limp. I'm trying not to let it stop me, but it's frustrating.

Today, we head back to London on a late afternoon train, where Michael and I will enjoy a few drinks and we'll all experience the wonderful hospitality of VIA 1.

This little escape provided us with some great family time to start Christmas week. It reinforced that Christmas isn't something you find in a store, it's spending time with those you love.

Enjoy this crazy, amazing, wonderful week before Christmas.

Tina

1 comment: