Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How ya feeling?

I haven't written about how I'm feeling in a while, yet it's the most common question I'm asked when I run into someone.

People tell me I look good: The sparkle in my eyes is back, my colour is good and I have hair, which dramatically improves my appearance. I'm wearing make-up more often, which helps too.

Overall I feel better too. I have more energy and don't tire as easily. Although, some days, I go about my business and then hit a wall of tiredness. I can't anticipate the timing and there's little I can do when I encounter it except choose less mentally and physically strenuous activities.

I suspect my hemoglobin is up because my tiredness is slowly dissipating. Besides, it's been weeks and weeks now!

I am tolerating the Olaparib well and have even adjusted to the fasting periods before and after the drug. It requires a little more planning, but I'm getting the hang of it. The one side effect that seems to persist is the acid. I often get an upset stomach and then I feel the acid crawl its way up my throat and sit at its base. The acid doesn't attack every day, but I'd say more than half the time.

I'm trying different strategies to see if I can keep the caustic beast from sloshing into my esophagus - less caffeine (I haven't resorted to giving it up entirely), smaller meals, eating more often, tea, ignoring it . . .

I try not to take antacids very often, although they do help. My sister is a bit worried the acid could eat away at something in my throat, which could lead to throat cancer. Great.

I'll mention these symptoms to my doc on the Jan. 18, but I suspect, according to his protocol, I'll be tolerating the drug well. And I am despite this fairly minor inconvenience.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention I blogged too soon about the lack of facial hair during the regrowth this time. Oh, I got the full wolfman peach fuzz. It's a lovely look. At least I know it's not forever.

Happy Wednesday,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment