Monday, January 31, 2011

RIP

On the weekend, I learned another friend died from cancer. This makes two women, in the space of one week, who lost their battle with this stupid disease.

I met Carol though the London BRCA gene mutation support group. I felt a special affinity for her because she was the only other person in the group currently fighting cancer. As well, she was a ovarian cancer sister. While my diagnosis was only months old, she'd be living and fighting with the disease for 10 years.

I got an email from her neice on Saturday morning with the news she passed away during the night. My mind immediately jumped to the last time I saw her at the Run for Ovarian Cancer last May. While she herself used a walker for mobility, she was a supportive presence to all the runners. In fact, the BRCA support group formed a team in her honour.

On the weekend, I wondered if Olaparib could have helped her too. It's helping shrink my cancer (and fingers crossed the drug will continue to work magic). Carol, as a woman with the BRCA gene mutation, may have benefitted from Olaparib's PARP inhibitor, cancer-slaying properties. Perhaps her diagosis was 10 years too early.

But whenever I saw her, she exuded a positive attitude. She seemed to be living life to the fullest. As a result, I hope she had no regrets.

Carol is now free from the pain, worry and thief that is cancer. May she rest in peace.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. So sorry Tina :-( Rest peacefully, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I'm so sorry for your loss of yet another friend. There are too many losses to deal with when we know so many people with cancer. Still, knowing them all is a blessing, as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol was a wonderful person, she was a woman of great courage, she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete