Monday, January 17, 2011

Zero to four

Just over a week ago, a dear friend dropped off a treadmill at my house. This machine had been gathering dust in his storage space for a few years and, when I was training for my try triathalon, he thought it'd get far more use at my house than his.

Then I got diagnosed with cancer. Thoughts of using a treadmill faded to the background as I focussed on treatment and then recovery. During the nine months of my remission, I hit the London Life gym and Bob Hayward YMCA. It was a long fitness hill to climb to get my strength and stamina back, but I was progressing nicely. Just when I was considering asking about the treadmill again, I got news of my reoccurence. No treadmill for me.

But a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to get off my couch-potato butt and start moving again. So I asked about the machine and my friend delivered it just over a week ago. Mentally, I was ready to exercise and I knew having the treadmill taunting me in my own house would encourage me to start working out again.

Monday
After my kids left for school, I enthusiastically hopped on the treadmill. I started walking and the machine automatically set the incline at five (the highest). I told myself I could do it. My hip flexors started to hurt after a short walk, but I continued until the old internal lubricant started to work again and the muscles stretched out.

I surprised myself when I tried running and was able to do it! I did five sets of three minutes. I was so proud of myself. I felt good and rewarded myself with a soak in the hot tub.

Wednesday
After learning the pace I set for myself for Monday's running segments was seriously slow, I upped my speed. Surprisingly, it went fairly well and I managed to run for a total of 20 minutes. It was hard and I was drenched in sweat, but I did it. I felt good! Again, a hot tub chaser eased the tired muscles.

Friday
My bout with the treadmill was way more difficult! My kids had a PD day and were in the room while I ran/walked. At one point, my ragged breath and dripping sweat prompted Noah to say in a concerned voice, "Are you alright, mom?" I could barely manage to nod affirmative. I reduced my total running minutes to 15, but I still did it. And of course, I hit the hot tub afterwards.

Monday
After a weekend off, I got up early this morning to answer the call of the treadmill. God, it was so hard to run and the blasted machine had me gasping for air and soaked with sweat. I was only able to run for 13 minutes, although I did go a touch faster. I even did two 30-second intervals really quickly, for me. (I'm afraid to post the pace because people may laugh.)

As I sit here post workout, chilled with the dried sweat on my body, I wonder if I'm being too hard on myself. I went from zero workouts to four semi-strenuous ones, just like that. I think I have to be a little gentler and convince myself that walking at a good clip and a steep incline is good too. I also have to find some other forms of exercise or I'll begin to hate the torturous treadmill.

It's good to have it in my house to encourage me to work out, but I can't make it my main form of exercise because I just don't like running that much. When I learned of my reoccurence, I watched someone running down the street. At that point, I said, I may choose to never run again because I don't like it. Why should I waste my precious time doing something I don't enjoy when there are so many other activities I do like?

But here I am, trying to run again. I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it's because I have a treadmill calling me from the basement and it's convenient. Perhaps in the back of my mind I still want to complete a try triathalon one day. I certainly want to be able to run at least part of the Run for Ovarian Cancer on May 15. Or maybe, just maybe, I think I could learn to like it a little bit. I respect those who run, although I have to admit I think those who complete long distances are just a bit crazy. But that's just me.

Experts always say, unless you do exercise you like, you won't keep it up. I like variety. I know I have to keep moving. It's good for me and it makes me feel satisfied, proud, accomplished and healthy. I need to experience those feelings, especially right now.

But now it's time to head outside to soak in the hot tub. I know my tired muscles will appreciate it.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I am NOT a runner. But I run all the time now. It started with a 10K race Ricardo and I set as a goal for myself. I trained for it... about 4 times a week.
    I hated it.
    I sucked at it.
    It was so hard.
    But I did it.
    It took me a good year and a half for me to actually say "That was a good run... I really liked it." I have never had this "Runner's High" that I've heard others speak of... but I actually enjoy running now. I hope that at some point, you get to enjoy it as well. I just home it doesn't take you a year and a half like it did me! LOL
    And if you want to do a Tri one day - you tell me when and where, and I'll be there to do it with you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete