Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kick in the gut

My very first blogger friend died yesterday and when I read the news, it felt like I'd been kicked in the gut. She found me through my blog and I started following hers. Every once in a while, we'd post supportive comments to one another. Daria had breast cancer, which spread to other organs.

Daria hadn't been doing well over the past few weeks, and her blog reflected that, but her death still caught me off guard. Her husband posted the news she'd died, which I read it yesterday afternoon. My gasp caught the attention of Michael and he looked shaken when I told him the news.

Neither of us knew Daria personally, although I feel I'd learned a little bit about her through her writing. But I've been thinking about her passing, praying for her family and believing she's gone to a better place where there's no pain or fear.

Her passing is also the first cancer-related death I've experienced since my diagnosis. It makes me angry this stupid disease claims the lives of good people. It makes me scared for what my future may hold.

But for today, I salute Daria. She fought bravely and shared her experience with others. She loved and lived life. And she'll be remembered with fondness.

Good bye Daria. Rest in peace.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I had no connection to her and yet through your post Tina I went and read the last few posts by Daria and her husband. It's left a lump in my throat to follow along the last few moments of someone whom I'm sure touched many lives and was a very wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete