Thursday, January 20, 2011

Super freak

My emotions over the past two days remind me of the little silver ball inside a pinball machine. They're all over the place and don't make much sense as they bounce from here to there. I got great news, I should be happy, thrilled, relieved and ready to get on with life. And while I do feel that way, I also feel exhausted, stressed, squeezed, nervous and teary.

Humans are complex creatures. We react to information, external stimuli and pressure in a myriad of ways. Some reactions don't even make sense. I'm confused by my reactions and emotions. That's why I think I'm a freak these days.

I got the news of my cancer remission mid-day on Tuesday. Afterwards I smiled and bounced as I walked around the cancer centre because I was so thrilled. I updated my blog and Facebook status so I could share my excitement with the world.

But for some weird reason, I didn't want to talk to anyone because I wasn't sure what to say. I'm happy with the news, but the cancer is still there. Maybe I was afraid others wouldn't feel as thrilled by the percentages and shrinkage. Perhaps I felt I failed to live up to the expection of banishing the dreaded tumours completely. I knew there would probably be some remnants of disease because of the nature of the beast that is ovarian cancer. While I hoped it would all just disappear, the likelihood was extremely slim.

Tuesday night, I completely crashed, and then my emotions went haywire. I think I'd been more worried and stressed than I thought about the appointment and once it was done, I was exhausted. In addition, the drinking of the radioactive dye, blood work and appointments take a lot out of a girl. As a result of my tiredness, I've been overreacting.

We've also been having some teenage trouble with our son lately. He doesn't listen well, hasn't put forth a consistent effort and seems to care less about his school work/projects than I do. I feel like the big, bad ogre forcing him to do more, do better, extend more effort. It stresses me out enormously (when I shouldn't be the one worried about his work). I feel like I constantly have to schedule all his projects and stay on top of him (in addition to the rest of life), which makes me feel a bit squeezed. I guess I just don't understand him because I was such a different student. I guess you would have called me a brown-nosed, studious, focussed kid. But that attitude got me far! I just want the best for my kids.

Of course, because I'm exhausted and stressed, my fuse has also been a bit shorter than normal. Then I feel bad about it - for both my kids.

Today, I'm a big lump. I feel down because I fought with Noah again this morning about his school work, I'm exhausted (emotionally and physically) and I'm sick of the cold. (I also had dreams of a sunny vacation that were dashed.) I think I just need a little time to myself to recharge my batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy about the status of my health. I'm thrilled I'm in remission. I am tentatively excited about going back to work (nervous too because it'll be one more thing to juggle with my limited energy) and I get to go to the London Knights hockey game tonight. There are many, many good things in my life.

I remember last year when I got news of my remissions, I had a weird emotional experience too. Everyone around me was so excited, and I was tentatively happy. I guess it's normal - or at least normal for me. Maybe I just have a lot of processing to do before I focus on the positive and move forward. But don't worry, I will get there. Just give me a little time.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory emails, Facebook messages or blog posts. I am extremely grateful to you all. You're here on the journey with me, and I couldn't do it without you. So keep celebrating, I will catch up.

Love you.
Tina

1 comment:

  1. You do know you're female right? If you were a dude, this is how you'd react:
    - sit in a chair with a beer in front of the tv
    - punch something
    - go into the garage and "fix" something
    And then you'd be over it and moved on.
    Sadly, we're female... which means we'll spend forever dealing with our "emotions". UGH. But we're prettier. So that's all that really matters. :D

    ReplyDelete