Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas joy

It's Christmas Eve (day) and I'm sipping on Hawaiian coffee, contemplating the day and smiling inside.

Today my family heads to celebrate Christmas in Wallaceburg with my parents, sister, brother-in-law and nephews. The house will be a beehive of activity and wafting with the awesome smells of turkey, potato dressing, potato croquettes and the accompanying fixings. Can you tell I'm looking forward to the food?

I'm also looking forward to the company. This year, more than ever, this season isn't about the gifts for me. I couldn't care less if I had one package to open. I want to spend time with my family and enjoy a delicious meal cooked by loving hands.

My sister went over to help my mom get ready yesterday and I felt jealously nostalgic. I wanted to be there too, peeling potatoes, baking cookies, singing Christmas carols and hanging out with my family. Those chores, done together while listening to and singing carols always help get me in the spirit. The chemo, tiredness, naps and illness have diminished my ho-ho-ho-ness. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel very much like Christmas to me.

But I'm deteremined to change that today. I will not let this Christmas slip by with a sense of mediocrity. That's why I brewed the special coffee we bought for Christmas for this morning. I'm also going to do my best to be cheerful and Christmasy today (even if I have to sneak in a little nap to do so). I get to be with people I love and celebrate our family, being alive, hope, joy and the birth of Jesus.

Of course, it won't hurt to hear the squeals of joy on the little kids' faces when they open up their toys.

One more sleep until the big man in red makes his appearance. Yup, that's tonight!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Tina, and yes it sounds like you are looking forward to the yummy meal.
    Enjoy your day with your loved ones, and as you say its not about the gifts, its about spending time with the ones you love.
    A gift we are all receiving this year is that you are here to celebrate this wonderful time.
    A Very Merry Christmas to you and your family and here's to a healthier 2012....Love Deb and Paul....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas cousin!! Enjoy your traditions and your family! Christmas IS about being with the ones you love, and I am so glad that you will be able to enjoy the yumminess of the season tonight! Love you! Margie

    ReplyDelete