Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Liquid shortage

I couldn't do it. I did not manage to consume 10 to 12 cups of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic liquids today. I forced myself to swallow between eight and 10, but I am now in a lot of pain, want to throw up (heaven forbid I lose what I have in my system) and can't go to sleep.

My big mistake was probably eating lunch. I dined out with Michael, my mom and sister at Swiss Chalet and heartily enjoyed part of a festive feast. But solid food in my system takes too long to digest and crowded out the room needed for my required fluids.

Before June, I easily swallowed 12 to 16 cups of water, coffee, pop or juice a day. I loved my ice water and would sip it all day long at my desk. This drinking task would have been easy six months ago. But since I started filling with ascities and having all my stomach issues, it's almost a chore to quaff four cups of fluid. How sad; especially when the liquids are needed as part of my treatment.

To top it off, my bowels are acting up tonight. I have yet to find the right balance with the constipation-fighting medication I'm on, so I'm suffering cramping and explosive results requiring frequent jaunts to the bathroom.

It all means I'm not getting the sleep I so desperately need.

I don't know what the nurses will say tomorrow when I confess I didn't meet the mark on my liquid consumption. The information sheet the accompanies the Cisplatin drug sheet specifically indicates I need the 10 to 12 cups of fluid or I need to call the triage nurse at the cancer centre. Apparently, it's that important. I think the Cisplatin can be very toxic and the liquids are necessary to flush it from my body.

Hopefully, my efforts will be close enough and they'll be able to pump me up with extra fluids via my I.V. tomorrow. I'm also praying my blood counts have improved enough to get the chemo.

Then on Friday, when I need to meet those high liquid requirements again, I'll abstain from food. Liquids all the way, baby.

Cross your fingers, say a little prayer or hope for good karma that all proceeds smoothly tomorrow, I get my chemo, it starts to work quickly and I hop on the road to getting better.

Tina

1 comment: