Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Presenting the list

Hi ho, hi ho
It's off to the doc's I go
Today I present
How things went
With the che-e-e-e-mo

This morning, I have appointments at the cancer centre to give blood and see Dr. W. My blood tests will verify if all my levels and cells are within the acceptable range for me to have chemo again on Thursday. I know they need to check my platelets to make sure my blood is clotting properly because I experienced nose bleeds, and unexplained bruising and red marks late last week. 

The bruising is just one of the experiences I'll need to recall when I'm with the doc and his nurse, B, this morning. Some of the side effects I've had over the last three weeks include:
  • Nausea, stomach pain
  • Tiredness
  • Weakness/shaky
  • Pain under right breast (like gallstones)
  • Flushed cheeks
  • Paleness
  • Flu-like symptoms (day 3 post Carbo/Gemcitabine treatment) - aches, restless, nauseous, headache, flushed, muscles
  • Abdominal cramping/difficulty with bowel movements
  • Acne
  • Blood pressure on high side
  • Bloody mucous in nose (starting four days after Gemcitabine treatment)
  • Unexplained bruises and red spots
  • Headaches, stiff neck
  • Irritable, sensitive to sound (everything is amplified and loud sounds hurt my ears/head)
  • Jabbing, lower abdominal pains
  • Vomiting up about 25 per cent of what I eat and drink when I take Dexamethasone
  • Vomiting up at least 75 per cent of what I eat and drink when I am off Dexamethasone
The list is long, but gives a fairly clear picture of my life over the past three weeks. I have no idea if this is going to be my typical reaction to this chemotherapy combination. I suspect my pre-existing stomach problems, the after-effects of my surgery and the overbearing presence of some of my tumours are contributing to or exacerbating the severity of some of these side effects.

I have no idea what action Dr. W will take based on my list of complaints. I don't know how or if he can help me. All I can do is present my reality to him and rely on his medical expertise and advice. Hopefully, he can find ways to alleviate some of the symptoms and make my life a little easier.

Regardless, the magic words I want to hear are, "You're all set to get chemo again on Thursday."

Let's release the next wave of ninjas.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment