Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday morning check in

I've learned some of my regular readers worry when I don't blog the weekend after a treatment or medical intervention. To allay some of this anxiety, I'm providing a little check list on this snowy Saturday morning.

  • I felt good yesterday. I got my last Christmas gift picked up and the rest of the presents wrapped. I feel prepared for the big day now and that makes me feel good.
  • I was extremely tired by the time evening rolled around. I took a nap on the couch and then curled up in my bed at 9 p.m. Of course, I woke at 4 a.m. again this morning so I'm going to have to try to stay up a little later so my mornings don't start quite so early.
  • I managed to keep all food and drink in my body yesterday, with no vomiting nor diarrhea. Yay! While most of my day consisted of a liquid diet to ensure there was enough room for fluids, I was actually hungry for dinner last night and had a couple chicken wings and potato wedges. I also treated myself to a few cookies. I miraculously managed to consume nine cups of fluid throughout the course of the day with no stomach pain or issues.
  • The stinky chemo farts are back. The bright side of that smelly situation is my bowels are working and pushing the gas around. It's also a very normal chemo experience, which makes me feel slightly relieved.
  • While I should keep up copious amounts of fluids, the 10 to 12 cup guideline is done.
  • The anti-nausea drugs have been working well. I started feeling slightly sick around dinner last night, but the little pills quelled the feeling. Now I'm done the big gun, the Granisetron, which costs a small fortune, but hopefully I've expelled enough of the Cisplatin from my system it won't be an issue.
This blog isn't fancy, but now you're up-to-date. I have no idea what today will bring, but after I'm done my Carnation Instant Breakfast (with its two cups of fluid), I'm actually going to indulge in a coffee. The java will cancel out the hydrating effects of the instant breakfast, but I think it may be worth it so I can indulge in my little Saturday morning ritual of coffee and the newspaper. I'll work on replenishing the fluids later.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment