Friday, December 16, 2011

3/12 - Ninjas at work

We deployed the battle-ready ninjas yesterday morning and now they're invading my body, searching for and fighting those nasty cancer cells. After blood tests, a visit from Dr. W, and discussions about my vomiting, diarrhea and ascities, we continued on with the chemotherapy. Yay!

I was extremely relieved since I thought my body's attempt to purge all the liquids I'd consumed could prevent treatment. Despite feeling awful yesterday, another delay would have reduced me to a puddle of tears.

Instead, extra IV fluids accompanied the chemo yesterday and I received three bags of potassium, which my blood tests revealed was extremely low from the diarrhea. I also have some giant potassium capsules to take over the next couple weeks, which is fine by me if it keeps me on track with my regime.

Yesterday, I was exhausted. After only four hours of sleep the night before, weakeness from all the explosive bowel expulsions, and stomach and abdomen discomfort, I could barely function. I hopped up on the bed in the chemo suite, snuggled under the warm blankets and settled in. The entire process from blood work to final flush took about five hours, during which I only slept about 30 minutes (chemo suites are very noisy places).

I was happy to get home, rest in my own bed for the rest of the day and by about 9 p.m. I was sawing logs. Of course, when my alarm clock glows at 4 a.m., something in my head thinks it's time to wake up. I tried convincing my body to settle back into the snuggly covers, but to no avail. My mind was churning and I was awake. Ugh.

Since I've never received this chemotherapy combination before, I have no idea what to expect for side effects. The chemo nurse yesterday said Cisplatin tends to produce more nausea and stay in the body longer than Carboplatin. I have a stronger anti-nausea medication that I hope will take care of that nastiness. I guess I'll find out how I react over the next few days - and deal with whatever comes my way.

I also must try to swallow lots of fluids today to flush the drug from my system. Cisplatin can cause kidney damage and therefore the cleansing liquids are vital. I learned yesterday, I'm only getting half of the high-dose Cisplatin at a time, which mandates the 10 to 12 cups of liquids. Since my dose is split between two weeks, I figure if I consume about eight cups of fluid, I should be good. I can't make myself sick trying to fit it all in because that strategy entirely defeats the purpose.

Dr W and I also talked about the ascities expanding my abdominal area. While it's not horrific right now, I visibly look about six months pregnant with my rounded belly. Since I have so much scar tissue and diffferent pockets of fluid in my abdomen, it's hard to use paracentisis to remove an amount necessary to provide good relief. So, if we decide I need to be drained again, he's investigating options with interventional radiology.

With paracentisis, the patient is usually wheeled down to radiology where the technician finds the biggest pocket of fluid, marks the spot with a magic marker X, tells the individual to lay still on the stretcher and sends her back through the hospital to the cancer centre for the procedure. During the transport, loops of bowel float in the fluid, the patient gets bumped or moved and the ideal spot may not be quite so ideal once the (painful) procedure starts.

I asked if perhaps the paracentisis could be done in interventional radiology where the doctor could use the ultrasound and needle(s) at the same time to find various large pockets of fluid and drain them. I think, if paracentesis becomes necessary, that would be my best option. While this isn't usually common practice, Dr. W said he would talk to them about this possibility.

He also talked about putting in another temporary drain; much to my chagrin. But as he pointed out, it would also only capture and drain the fluid from the one area into which the tube would be placed. In addition, we're both hoping the chemo starts to work on drying up the ascities and this entire problem goes away on its own.

So again, I revert to my mantra of one day at a time. But I am hoping to find some bursts of energy so I can get the rest of my Christmas wrapping done. While I was lying in bed not sleeping on Wednesday night, I worried if I experienced complications, I wouldn't be ready for Christmas. Now I feel compelled to get the last gift I've ordered picked up and everything wrapped so I don't have to worry and can focus on managing the side effects and getting better.

I know if I don't get all my preparations for Christmas done, it's not the end of the world, but given that I may not feel well, may not be able to eat much and have so little control over how these festivities will proceed this year, I'd like to be able to control something. Having everything wrapped and ready to go (oh and a list for the ingredients for Christmas breakfast) seems manageable, especially since I have a week. I'll do what I can and rest in between. Sounds like a plan to me.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment