Friday, December 23, 2011

Up and at 'em

My slightly-swollen eyes slid open this morning to alight on the red, glowing numbers of 3:38 on my alarm clock. I inwardly groaned and rolled over in the warm, flannel sheets to try to return to the dreamland. But my mind had found the meandering stepping stones of my thoughts and decided to start traversing them instead of crawling back into the silky, grey crevice that led to sleep. And now, here I sit.

But I'm going to take advantage of this early-morning (bad) habit my body's adopted and head to the 24-hour grocery store to pick up my last minute items before the hoards descend. I only need a few things, but I'd rather gather them while the aisles aren't packed with shoppers.

So after a quick update about my chemo yesterday, I'll donne a baseball cap and head out the door.

Treatment was quick yesterday; done in three hours. I guess when you don't need blood nor a discussion with the doc about all the problems, the infusions themselves don't take too long. I sat uncomfortably in a chair because the beds were all occupied. But I ended up visiting with three different people, so I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway.

The first is an old friend from high school who works at the hospital. I'm happy she dropped in for a quick visit and a Christmas hug. Then I ran into a friend from my cancer support group. I didn't know she was undergoing treatment so it was really beneficial to catch up with her situation. Then I met a woman I hadn't seen in a couple of years, who has breast cancer. It was good to see each one of them and each discussion gave me something to think about - friendship, love, optimism, hope, despair, longing, absence, etc. - which was good.

I did get my nap when I got home. I crawled into MY bed and dosed off for about 1-1/2 hours. It was heavenly.

Michael, bless his soul,  just got up to go to the grocery store with me, so now it's time to get up and at 'em.

Psssst, did you know it's only two more sleeps until Christmas!

Enjoy your Friday.
Tina

3 comments:

  1. I hear this often now, something that I haven't heard in years three more sleeps, two more sleeps and soon christmas eve. My daughter her husband to be and my grandson now live with us to help out. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New year.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I woke up at 3:38AM, and couldn't get back to sleep, I would clobber myself over the head with a cartoon-esque oversized mallett.
    However: REALLY good call on the 24 hr grocery store! That's quite brilliant!
    TWO MORE SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Tina - enjoy your weekend!
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete