Monday, December 26, 2011

A new, true meaning of Christmas

Words cannot even express how overwhelmingly full my heart is from the generosity I experienced this Christmas. This feeling isn't from the unwrapping of the traditional packages and presents, but from unexpected and surprising gifts that came directly from the heart.

As you know I almost died in September. When the doc came out of the emergency surgery and talked to Michael and Angie, the prognosis wasn't good. There was a good chance, I wouldn't make it through the night. If things transpired as he predicted, I wouldn't have been around to celebrate this Christmas nor fight this cancer.

A near-death experience can really add perspective, and drop the things like presents on the list of priorities. Yet, every year, we create a Christmas list and our family goes about diligently shopping for the ideal gift for those we love. This year, I half-heartedly put some items I'd like on a list, but I didn't really want anything because I just wanted to be thankful I'm here, celebrating with those I love. Michael took it one step further.

He knew what he wanted for Christmas. He wants to be with me, not only for this celebration, but for many more to come. The only way he knew he could help with that goal was to make a special request of those who buy him gifts. Instead of requesting a new set of guitar strings or parts to fix his bass guitar, in lieu of a new movie or a light for his Kobo ereader, he let his heart and love for me lead.

Instead of items, he asked those who buy him presents for a donation to the Run for Ovarian Cancer. He's donating all the money that would have gone to his gifts to those dedicated researchers who are striving to find better ways to treat this God-awful disease. He said he wants me to share his life, and the only way he knows how to do that is to give to those who are working to keep women like me alive.

I cried and cried. My heart swells with pride because of his love and generosity. He now has a big chunk of money that'll go to Team Tina and the Run for Ovarian Cancer. Unbelievable. I love him so much.

Then I received another generous surprise on Christmas Eve from my parents. My mom came into a small inheritance from a distant relative overseas during the past year. I was thrilled for her because as retired folks, my parents are now individuals who live on a budget. They've also worked hard all their lives and deserve to enjoy travel, a new car, fun activities, etc. (In other words, they need to spend that money they've worked all their lives to collect and have fun. It's theirs, spend it.)

But mom and dad generously decided to share a portion of that inheritance money with my sister and I. My mom handed me a cheque and said use it to fulfil an entry on my bucket list when I'm done treatment and feel better. I was astounded - and yes, I teared up again. This special gift gives me something to dream about as I fight through these next eight chemo treatments and their side effects. It provides my brain extra incentive to encourage the ninjas to work so I can do something fun to celebrate when the crap is all done.

So, while I enjoyed the usual Christmas celebratory festivities - the great food, the good company, the squeals of children's laughter, watching my children's face glow with delight at their presents, the packages I received (and feel slightly guilty about) - my true gift is the spirit of love and generosity I feel from these unexpected events.

Michael, you're an amazingly, loving, generous man. Thank you to all who listened to his request and gave him donations instead of presents. Thanks to my parents for sharing - when they certainly didn't have to - so I can dream of tropical beaches or foreign countries. And thank you for the other gifts I did receive. I am a very lucky woman.

I have been blessed to experience a differerent side of the true meaning of Christmas this year - and I'm overwhelmingly grateful.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing family Tina. Wishing you good health and happiness for the coming year. Hugs d

    ReplyDelete