Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New friends

Yesterday, I attended a wonderful Christmas lunch with some fabulous women. The hostess, I met through the Run for Ovarian Cancer, and she's become a valuable friend since that day, always offering support and prayers as I struggle with my cancer journey.

At lunch yesterday, she offered delicious food, tasty drink, homemade Irish cream and introductions to two of her dear friends. Like me, these two women are ovarian cancer survivors. They make me hopeful because they're both around their five-year remission mark. In the cancer world, getting to five years without a reoccurence is outstanding. Some doctors say if you've been disease-free for five years, you're cured of the cancer.

I'm so happy for them. I'm also thrilled to know women who are keeping this stupid disease at bay and living life cancer-free. It gives me encouragement to keep battling my cancer, especially during tough times, because perhaps the next treatment will work and I too can live in remission for a long(er) period of time.

It was an honour and so much fun to be part of this group of women. I'd like to get to know them all better in the coming years. As you can imagine, with four talkative women at a lunch, conversation flows quickly. I'd like to know more about the cancer stories of these fiesty survivors and get to know all three women better as friends.

You can never have too many good friends.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    Your luncheon sounds fabulous. Isn't it great to connect with other women who 'get it?' It's empowering, inspiring and just plain fun. And you deserve to have some fun my dear. Enjoy getting to know them all better. My best.

    ReplyDelete