Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Emotional effect of words

As a writer, one of the biggest compliments I can receive is feedback on how I string my words together to form a message. Lately, I believed I'd lost the ability, drive and/or energy to create compelling blog posts. When reviewing some of my earlier posts, I'd marvel I actually wrote a particular piece or came up with a clever turn of phrase.

But over the past few months, I've felt my writing has been so mundane, solely updating you on doctor's appointments, medical jargon and side effects. Part of this journey involves all that necessary information because it explains the day-to-day realities of my journey with cancer, the toll it takes on my body and the unsavory side effects, but it easily becomes tediously boring.

In my brain, I blamed the weariness of my long trek with my unsavory companion, cancer, and I lamented my loss of creativity. I felt uninspired, and more importantly, uninspiring.

Then yesterday, out of the blue, I was able to create an engaging blog about my unhappy dance with cancer. The words easily flowed from my fingers as I sat at my keyboard, so they'd obviously been percolating in my subconscious.

I haven't received a lot of feedback from my writing recently, which could stem from a myriad of reasons ranging from reader busyness, the lack of inspiring writing or the inability to post on blogspot, but I did hear from four people about yesterday's post via comments, emails and Facebook. The range of reaction surprised me a little.

Two were extremely bothered by my post, and the sadness and weariness it conveyed. Two marveled at my writing ability, and how I could eloquently express so much emotion and lucidity. I'd hoped for the second response, but the first one made me feel sombre.

When being honest, I can't predict the reaction of others. Nor do I want to assume what emotions my words will dredge up. But, along with one of the messages expressing sadness, one friend expressed the overwhelming belief I will beat this and live to step lightly in a dance of a different kind.

Not knowing how my readers will respond to my writing is part of the joy of blogging: I can put information, thoughts, feelings and very personal details online without witnessing the reaction. I don't see the pain, disappointment, joy, relief, inspiration, uncomfortableness nor sadness in their eyes. It allows me to be more honest than a real conversation because talking about some of these topics in person would be extremely difficult. (But that doesn't mean actual talks wouldn't be welcome either.)

More importantly, people don't need to share their reactions with me and can read from the comfort of their computer, processing the information and emotions by themselves. A blogging audience is not compelled to provide any feedback unless they want to do so. Being anonymous is part of its appeal.

But as I started today's blog, I emphasized feedback - both complimentary and constructive - is invaluable to a writer. I can only assess my work, understand how my words affect others or improve myself if I absorb the reaction of others. So thank you to those who do respond. I hope it helps me be a better writer.

In a way, I feel I should apologize when I make others feel uncomfortable with my writing, but that would be ingenuine. From the beginning, my goal has been to be genuine to the truth of this journey. So I will continue to write as I know best (and incorporating any constructive feedback from you), and hopefully, at least every once in a while, I'll be able to craft an interesting and inspiring blog that makes you sit back and revel in the truth of life.

Tina

6 comments:

  1. Tina, I definately am not a writer, so to comment on your abilities as a writer would be ridiculous. However, I try religously read your post everyday. I can't always say that I enjoy everthing I read especially when the news isn't good. But, with busy lives, illness and work there are times where we would all be wondering how you were doing. Without this wonderful blog we would have no clue how you were feeling. Keep up the great work with your updates, I can't imagine how hard it must be somedays to write the words you do. Try not to worry about what others think about your writing, you write for you. Hopefully this will help you dance with those ninjas until the "C" word is no longer in your vocabulary!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    I appreciate every time you post on your blog. The words are from your own heart and soul. There will be times when others don't agree with what you write - but that is their problem not yours. Keep up your good work, continue to write what you see fit and how you see fit to write (type) it out. You are a courageous woman and I, with so many others, admire you.
    Also..I have tried to leave comments in the past and they don't always post.....might be why you don't always get a lot of feed back.
    Prayers for you always,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,

    I have been a dedicated reader of your blog since you first started on this journey. I do no know you personally but feel like I do just from reading. My heart goes out to you, Michael and the kids as you struggle with this horrible disease.

    I want to thank you for sharing this very personal experience. As a Palliative Care / oncology nurse I have learned so much from you. I also have recently started a tough journey with a friend with stage four lung cancer and have had several discussions with her about some of your blogs.

    Keep up the amazing blogs Tina. You are helping many more people than you know! I would love to see a blog about hope.... a topic close to my heart.

    Tina, I hope that you and your family enjoy a peaceful Christmas and a quiet new year! Keep writing and I for one will continue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an amazing feeling when the words just come out of your fingers onto the monitor. Love that feeling. Creation. And it doesn't matter who likes it when it happens...it's knowing that it was something just a little more special than usual. I love it when I'm trying to be funny and somebody tells me I've succeeded. I haven't been blogging much lately...that mundane thing is happening. And of course, my journey is much different than yours, so my reasons for blogging aren't quite as compelling. Keep writing Tina! I check every day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I commented on the post from Wednesday (today) before I read Tuesday's!
    I wholeheartedly agree with what the 4 posts above mine say! And like they've said: this is about YOU not anyone else.
    The reasons I enjoy reading your blog are twofold: 1 - because the writing is awesome. (and I'm not just saying that because of this post... you know I've commented on this before) and 2 - because it makes me feel a bit like I'm on this journey with you. People often want to DO something to help, but when there's nothing you can do, being along for the ride is sometimes a decent alternative. Your posts let me feel what you're feeling-esque. Even on the blogs that are "mundane" it actually gives me insight into how you are really feeling. The times you're "low" blogs are "mundane", the times you feel a bit better, your blogs are more lively. If we didn't have the "mundane" we'd never know how you're truly feeling. And if someone is reading this blog, it's because they want to know how you're really feeling.
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,
    Love, love, love you writing, it IS awesome - keep up the good work! I agree with everyone above, it is hard to read sometimes when things are not going well for you, those of us that follow your blog feel like we "know" you and your family and are sad right along with you. I love to read whatever you write about, happy, sad, mudane - I look forward to your updates - and we all do want to know how you are feeling!
    Hugs to you,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete