Thursday, December 8, 2011

Food and drink

We take the ability to eat and drink for granted. Sipping on our fragrant morning beverage, noshing on a decadent piece of cake, licking our fingers as some of the ingredients of our noon-time sandwich come slipping out, guzzling down the refreshing water to quench our thirst or slicing into a perfectly cooked piece of tender chicken. Mmmmm.

Over the past few months, when sustenence often refused to remain in my body, I've gained a new appreciation for food and drink. I value, more than ever, the energy-giving properties it provides. I also love the taste, texture and social aspects of dining or sharing a coffee.

I managed to retain most of what I ate and drank yesterday, and I feel better today. The pounding headache is gone and I have some energy. I will still need to rest often and be very selective with my activities, but at least I don't feel like laying in bed, lounging on my couch or soaking in the hot tub are my only viable options.

My home care nurse visited me last night and I complained about my high pulse (102 bpm). She said my blood is trying to pump quicker to give me the oxygen it needs. Since my hemoglobin is so low, my oxygen supply is low, that makes me tired and short of breath. She said the transfusion tomorrow should really help me feel better. I look forward to that.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. YAY for blood!!! Well... in this case anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever find any miso paste? I can get you a big jar at the healthfood store if you haven't. mel

    ReplyDelete