Thursday, February 16, 2012

Answers and a plan

Success: I saw Dr. W today, we talked about my CT scans, how I'm responding to treatment, what next steps could be and how we're proceeding now.

Most immediately, the plan for tomorrow is to give me both chemotherapy and a two pints of blood. My hemoglobin dropped again, to 82, which is getting in the "Danger, danger, Will Robinson zone." (Yes, I've dated myself.) While doing both will make for a very long day, I'm thrilled I don't have to get a transfusion tomorrow and then wait for the restorative effects of the transfusion to take effect, which would probably delay my chemo by a week.

We also talked about my CT scans and how I can't compare the results from my latest test to those very detailed ones I used to get in Hamilton. He said, I got such detailed scans because I was part of a clinical trial and the radiologists in London don't report them the same way. They tend to provide general recommendations on if the disease progression is better, the same or worse. So it will be impossible for me to put the scans side by side and compare apples to apples.

Besides, Dr. W explained the surgery, with its flushing of the infected ascities and invasiveness probably moved things around in there, so it would be impossible to measure the disease in the same way and do a direct comparison. Bottom line, the CT shows my tumours, after three rounds of chemotherapy, is the same or slightly worse than September. But I also have to remember, the tumours had six weeks to grow before I even started treatment, so it's not 100 per cent accurate either.

But the good news is, as of my blood results three weeks ago, my CA-125 was finally trending downward from 355 to 201. I will find out tomorrow if it's dropped again. As a result, Dr. W thinks I am (finally) responding to treatment. So the plan is to continue with the current chemo combination of Cisplatin and Gemcitabine, especially since I seem to be tolerating it so well. After the six rounds are complete (I'm on round 5A and B), I'll have another CT scan to see if more treatment (or another type) is needed to get me to having microscopic or no evidence of disease. That's the goal. Yes, then maybe I can go on vacation and have a life.

If my CA-125 is up or if I need a different form of treatment, he's recommending I get Paclitaxol chemotherapy weekly. I've had Taxol before. It's the one that produces some nasty side effects and makes all my hair fall out. But it may not be as toxic if I get it weekly and besides, I'll do whatever I need to get this cancer to die.

We're also cutting my Dexamethason in half because it's not good for me and because I'm experiencing this weird freezing/twitchy with my right eye. Hopefully, with the other drugs I'm on for my digestive issues and the low-residue diet, reducing the steroid won't affect my ability to enjoy and retain my food.

I'm happy to have some answers, and to have a plan for both tomorrow and for the longer term. Talking to Dr W today makes me feel like we're both working towards the same goal of giving me a life back. I know I have to be patient and continue to be somewhat flexible, but that's the story of my life.

So think of Angie and I tomorrow as we spend a very long day in the chemo suite. We'll have to pack snacks and engaging activities because we'll start the whole process just before 9 a.m. and be done about eight hours later. But we're deploying more ninjas to kill the cancer and moving forward. Yay!

Tina

1 comment:

  1. It is good you can have such good conversations with your doctor. That is what I love about my oncologist. Good luck on your chemo day. I invite you to my blog: www.outshineovariancancer.blogspot.com.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete