Friday, February 10, 2012

Ignoring good advice

You know when you give yourself advice and you know it's absolutely the right thing to do, and you do the exact opposite? That's what I did today. I have a feeling I'm going to pay for it, but I couldn't help myself. I couldn't stop.

Shortly after I woke up, I started to clean. First I reorganized a pantry because I had it in my head the Tupperware containers would look better on the new, open shelves in the kitchen. From there, I decided I needed to clean the house properly. We have friends coming for dinner tomorrow (and yes, I know they don't care about the status of my house, but I got it in MY head it must be spic and span). So I got out the dust rag and polish, the bathroom cleansers, window cleaners and rags, the stove-top and kitchen sink paraphenalia and I started to scrub.

Maybe it's because I haven't personally thoroughly cleaned my house in a while, but I acted like a woman possessed. I moved objects to eradicate the little specks of dust behind the decorative candles, I polished the bottom of the toilet until it sparkled, I went to town with the stainless steel cleaner until my kitchen sink shined, I removed the carousel and scrubbed the little bits of food adhering inside my microwave and I washed down the fronts of all my cupboards and appliances. I operated like I was subject to some military-grade inspection. I don't know what got into me.

To top it off, I decided it was necessary to do three loads of laundry while I was spitting, polishing and shining.

I knew I should stop when I got a nose bleed part way through the morning. But I couldn't. I seriously felt and still sort of do) like someone has taken over my body and I'm out of control. I don't feel like myself. It's the strangest thing.

By the time I was done (although I still have a load of laundry in the dryer), I was exhausted, shaky and slightly dizzy. I laid down, figuring I would fall into a deep nap, only to be stymied by my own brain. My body wouldn't shut down. I dosed for probably about 10 minutes.

Trust me, I know I should have been resting today. I understand I need to get my rest and build up my red blood cells and platelets. I gave myself that exact same great advice just yesterday. I told myself several times today to stop, that it could wait until tomorrow and that I didn't need to be so thorough. But I didn't listen and I let this other-world, psycho Tina take over.

The good news, I have a clean house (after Michael does his job of vacuuming and cleaning the floors tomorrow). I suspect the bad news is I'm going to crash pretty darn early tonight.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. I think some of us get so frustrated that we are not living life as we used to or want to that we overdue it. Enjoy your clean house and organized cupboards. Hopefully there will be no repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girls gotta do, what a girl wants to do.. This is usually how I handle stress. Just clean.. Rest and enjoy your friends tomorrow. Love you

    ReplyDelete