Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lather up

A couple of weeks ago, I received some scented soap as a gift. They came packaged in a beautiful gold and teal padded box, with a thick, gold cloth string decoration. Nestled inside lay four hand-made bars of soap with the tantalizing aromas of mint, lemongrass, tea tree and jasmine.

In the past, after exclaiming delight over the gift, I would have placed the box in my closet, waiting for a special reason to use such unique soaps. It may have sat there for months or years, waiting for a good reason for me to break open such a beautiful item.

Not anymore.

I'm currently using the mint soap, with its rich later and invigorating scent, in my shower every morning. When it's simply a sliver, I'll move onto the next one that captures my olafactory fancy.

Life is too short. My experience with cancer teaches me I don't need to save the good dishes, special shirt, tasty treat or fancy soaps for a better day. Today is a good day because I'm alive.

Sure, it's fun to save things for events, and I'm not saying don't make certain occasions special, but don't put off enjoying something indefinitely waiting for the "right" time. Those soaps, sitting in the back of my closet, may have never seen water if I waited for the perfect time to use them. Now I'm getting a small dose of pleasure every, ordinary day.

We're all special and need to celebrate that absolute fact by incorporating the little pleasures and luxuries into our everyday. We deserve it - because we are alive.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. How true...we need to enjoy things, people, and events NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true...I'm learning to enjoy things "right now" that in the past I would have put off for one reason or another. My time is short. I want to enjoy what is left as much as possible. Thanks for your good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going home tonight and breaking open that bottle of ice wine I've been saving! Thanks for the reminder, Tina!!! (I'll make a toast to you!!)

    ReplyDelete