Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."

 - Mary Stevenson

The Queen of Chutneys commented today's blog reminded her of the poem Footprints in the Sand. That's an apt descriptor of how I feel. And I'm blessed to believe that God is carrying me and helping me through this difficult time. I just hope one day soon, I'll be able to dig my toes into the warm, wet sand and leave some footprints of my own.
 
Another incident happened this afternoon that makes me feel like I need to be carried by the Lord and all my friends. In addition to how I felt when I wrote my blog, I had a negative experience at the hospital. I had an appointment for my annual MRI to ensure my breasts are healthy. Unfortunately, I felt ill part way through the test and asked them to stop. But I didn't know stopping the scan would make it invalid and I'd have to come back another day.
 
When I found out, I wanted to cry. I wish I would have sucked up the nausea (and swallowed all the excess spit and whatever else made an appearance) so the test would just be done. But now I have to go back and remain perfectly still on my breastbone for 25 minutes again within the next few weeks. I'm so disheartened. It makes me want to go to bed right now and start again tomorrow.
 
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Sending hugs and prayers your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for blogging.It's blogs like yours that assist me in being a friend and comfort to a friend who's most likely about to be diagnosed with cancer-hers is colon cancer. she's had preliminary tests which point in that direction, and is now due for a colonoscopy. I know it's a different condition,but at the end of the day, the emotions, the fears..they're similar-from what I've seen in all the blogs I've read. I salute you for being able to write even when you're in the darkest of pits and need to claw yourself out.I need this.I need to know when to keep quiet, when to talk, when to hug and when to pamper. I hope your journey takes you where we all want you to be. FEELING better and not as round in the belly. Courage...

    ReplyDelete